Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

J d 410 c backhoe hyd. Proplem

lenray ยท 2013-09-15 18:43

Tractor was working perfect loading fill dirt. Drove into the pile and it wouldbn't lift the front bucket. From perfect to nothing in a minute. Finally got the bucket and the back boom up a few inches and drove it home. Replaced the hyd. filter--it was clean as well as the cannister. Started tractor up and the rear boom worked good and the front had a little chatter and was about 80%. Both booms will lift the tractor off the ground. After sitting for 24 hours it was back to working VERY VERY SLOW... HAS DECENT POWER IN THE DOWN POSITIONS , BUT ALMOST NOTHING ON LIFTING. Need help

Replies17
  1. #1Delmer2013-09-15 20:54

    I can't come up with any explanation that gets even close to what you're describing, soooo... How did the steering operate in these three incidents? Are all of the cylinders equally affected now, very slow but decent power "down"? Are you sure the "down" is just slightly faster, not more powerful? If I disregard a bunch of what you said, then it's easier. There is a gear pump on the front of the radial hydraulic pump, that gear pump is the charge pump and isn't doing it's job, look at the suction hose from the hydraulic tank for cracks, loose fittings, soft spots. Check the suction screen for blockage.

  2. #2lenray2013-09-16 11:03

    Hello Delmer----I got up front to the pump and unhooked the destroke valve--unhooked the power supply. Every thing is working almost normal if not normal---hook it back up and nothing works--booms do move , but you can barely see the movement. Thinking it has to be in the destroke valve on the front mounted pump---haven't removed the entire valve yet. thanks for your ideas---ya got somemore????

  3. #3Delmer2013-09-16 21:55

    The destroke valve is used for easier starting, it shouldn't be activated any other time. If the valve deactivates (hydraulics function normal) when you unplug the wire, then the fault is in the wiring, doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the valve itself if the system works when the valve is unplugged. On the 610c the destroke solenoid is powered from the start relay by 23A WHT(connects to the same terminal as 23 WHT) and grounded to the start relay by 240 BLK. If you can find the start relay (under the guage panel mounted on the fender) and those wires, those would be good ones to check as well as the ground of the start relay itself. Or any other suspicious/worn/cobbled wiring maybe?

  4. #4lenray2013-09-17 12:23

    Delmer I checked the wiring with a meter and there is only current to the destroke valve while CRANKING. Today with the wire unhooked it was not working as far as Hyd Power as it did yesterday. Hooked and unhooked a few times and the power for the hyds. came back strong. I am thinking the VALVE or the SOLENOID COIL are kinda working sometimes and other times not working--have you seen that???? Again the wiring seems to be working properly. Thank you for your time....

  5. #5Delmer2013-09-17 20:28

    I'm making even less sense of this so... Unless you're starting it each time you unhook the coil it shouldn't do anything. It will only affect the pump if it sticks halfway, which is possible. The valve shouldn't do anything without power so I'm at a loss. It wouldn't hurt to pull the valve out and see if there's anything obviously wrong. If not, pull the stroke control valve? I'm no expert on how these fail or even work, neither of these valves on mine has never given me any trouble.

  6. #6lenray2013-09-20 17:57

    Hello Delmer----I removed the destroke valve and replaced it with the JD plug. Sadly that wasn't my pro0blem... Where is that SUCTION SCREEN located??? I have the parts book , but can't find where it is located. The tractor runs and the hoe operates, BUT It isn't right--the pump has a steady chatter under load and the hyd. hoses have a vibration. Also going to check the pressure in the system--thinking 2250. Can I just plug in the pump up front?? thank you

  7. #7Delmer2013-09-20 22:41

    Yes, you can just plug in to the pump to get the standby pressure, but there might be a couple of extra ports in addition to the system pressure that you want. If one tee's off to the cooler that's obviously not system pressure, and if one reads in the low hundreds of psi then that might be the charge pressure, which might be worth checking more. The chatter sounds like air to me, unless there's something bad with the pump. Figure out your plumbing and if there's a suction screen it should be in the vicinity of the suction hose inside the hydraulic tank, may have a large hex head to remove it, sorry mine's different. Did you pull out the stroke control valve and see how it looks/moves?

  8. #8lenray2013-09-21 11:22

    Delmer----Is the STROKE CONTROL VALVE and the DESTROKE VALVE two different parts???? I removed the destroke valve and replaced with the JD PLUG. IF THE ---- stroke control valve-----is a different part---I haven't been able to find that,..... Also on the JD ---ONE CONTROL--- operates the front boom and bucket. If I pull the lever all the way back to raise the bucket--that is when I get the CHATTER. If I feather it back to just before the all the way back position-----then I don't get the chatter.

  9. #9willie592013-09-21 12:13

    Follow the suction hose/piping from charge pump back to the transmission sump. Access to the suction screen should be in the area where that piping connects to tranny sump. I'm not certain about the 410C, but it's likely located behind a hex plug on side of tranny near suction pipe connection, or if no plug in that area, remove the suction line connection at the fitting on side of tranny and remove the fitting, screen may be inside the port where fitting connects.

  10. #10imtractor2013-09-21 13:46

    according to your explanation that there are 3 focus: 1. main pump pressure 2. control valve pressure 3. your hydroulic oil to many "iron impurities" you could check the main pump pressure, if it is following the standar of manual shop so the main pump is ok, next check your control valve pressure according to shopmanual, if it ok, next.... check your hydroulic tank, if there is iron impurities, you should change this hydroulic oil and cleaning or flashing the hydroulic tank, we hope this will hellp you by imtract

  11. #11Delmer2013-09-21 21:50

    The stroke control valve bore is right next to the destroke plug/valve bore, the adjustable end is on the other end of the bore, there's just another plug on the end next to the destroke. But figure out the suction FIRST, the stroke control is more complicated, that is, more to lose or reassemble wrong. When you extend the cylinder at full speed you're demanding the most "makeup" oil from the charge pump, when you retract the cylinder there's extra oil going from the hydraulics back to the reservoir, so from what you say about the chattering I'd be looking at air leaks, or blockage on the suction side. Have you gone through the suction side and tightened everything from the pump back? Also, did you mention what the fluid looks like after running a bit, cloudy, foamy, milky?

  12. #12lenray2013-09-22 18:37

    Thanks willie 59 found and removed the sump screen--it was almost NEW CLEAN...

  13. #13lenray2013-09-22 18:45

    The fluid is JD and it looks very clean. Both filters and cannisters were very clean--no particles anywhere. Also drained system and got to the sump screen. It looks brand new could look right thru it. There is one lever that works the front boom and bucket--4 positions from one lever. I remember it kinda not working smooth one time just prior to my problem. I had to kinda give it a jerk to get it free---never thought much about it. Using that lever to raise the bucket is where I get the chatter---don't move it too fast and don't pull it all the way back and not much of a problem. I am very pleased on how CLEAN the internals are on this tractor...

  14. #14Delmer2013-09-22 21:00

    So the backhoe is functioning normally? There is a "priority valve" in this system that stops flow to the front loader if the pressure drops (to keep the steering and brakes working with priority) I don't know how it could cause this, but if the steering, brakes and backhoe work right, then the problem seems to be in the loader valve or the priority valve. If the backhoe can make the pump chatter too, then I'd look at the suction side of the pump again, and the pump pressure, (charge pressure and system pressure)

  15. #15lenray2013-10-06 20:47

    When I raise the front boom it comes up slower than in the past. If I curl the bucket while raising the front boom then it quits lifting. Went from working perfect to no hydraulics in the blink of an eye--then it started working again at maybe 85% of normal power. Have the flow meter and getting a 3000 lb. gauge---next challenge is finding the ports to hook up to and then determining where to look for a partially stuck valve or leaking O RING. Thanks for any and all help.................

  16. #16lenray2013-10-11 21:14

    New info. Put gage in system. At normal RPM's I have 2500. Raise the front boom it drops to 1250-1500 and use the rear backhoe boom and it drops down to 500. Front and rear booms can lift the tractor off the ground very easily with good power. Can't raise the front boom and curl the bucket at the same time--must be too much oil leaking somewhere??????????????????????????

  17. #17imtractor2013-11-18 05:12

    @ lenray... looks like you have to check you mainpump; especially for its LS Hydraulic, or we call it Load-sensing controller hydraulic inside main pump, (sorry the image is not LS for this unit JD410 but this is for komatsu, for easy illustration) Ok may God bless you .. dude happy checking...