Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

J D 500C engine issues

The Extractor · 2025-10-10 14:29

Hi All, I think I may have broken my engine. I ran my JD 500C almost out of fuel then refueled it and it wouldn’t start then I gave it probably too much laughing gas…. I didn’t like the sound it made when I tried to start it so I shut it right down immediately but now it seems locked up. Did I blow it up ? I’ve used ether in the past but always in the cold on a cold engine with no issues. My plan is to pull the injectors and try to turn it over. It’s been sitting 10 days since it happened. Thanks!

Replies25
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-10-10 17:03

    How much ether did you use? Did the engine go to full throttle after the ether treatment? You may have caused significant damage but you'll need to diagnose just how bad it is.

  2. #2The Extractor2025-10-10 17:57

    A second a half long spray maybe? Hard to gauge and remember from 10 days ago. It always goes full throttle whenever I start it. I was rushing and it probably bit me. Is it possible it sent fuel and hydro locked on fuel because I shut it off immediately?

  3. #3Vetech632025-10-10 18:02

    Its ether locked. It should disperse by sitting for a bit. The engine will also knock when 1st started until the overdose clears

  4. #4The Extractor2025-10-10 18:22

    Still after 10 days sitting?

  5. #5Vetech632025-10-10 19:00

    Maybe not in that case

  6. #6JL Sargent2025-10-10 19:35

    Maybe you can use a borescope to look at cylinders/pistons when you pull those injectors.

  7. #7The Extractor2025-10-10 21:41

    Should I be able to turn it over gently with a bar on the crank hydraulic pump coupler?

  8. #8Vetech632025-10-10 21:42

    Yes

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-10-10 23:07

    If you generally let the engine rev. to full throttle when starting you aren't doing the engine any favors. Putting the throttle at full throttle for starting is common but as soon as it catches you reduce the throttle way before it reaches full throttle. If too much ether is used you might not be able to lower the throttle until the ether is exhausted. If you're really lucky maybe it is hydrolocked with diesel but would think it would leak down in 10 days. Check your oil to see if has diesel in it. If it won't turn over taking the injectors (glow plugs if it has them) out is a good idea to see if will turn over. Good luck!

  10. #10The Extractor2025-10-11 12:35

    Thanks! I am always very careful to not let it go WOT when starting. I quickly cycle the lever and let it idle. I am praying hard that it is only hydro locked with diesel. It doesn’t have GPs so I will be pulling the injectors asap. I’ll go check the oil for diesel smell.

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-10-11 15:49

    I think you could feel diesel in the oil or the oil would be thinner. If it's over full on the dipstick is obvious.

  12. #12The Extractor2025-10-13 15:33

    Well, it seems I broke it. I pulled the injectors and it won’t budge with a big bar the starter.

  13. #13Vetech632025-10-13 16:13

    Drain the engine oil and look for metal. Do the same with the oil filter

  14. #14The Extractor2025-10-13 18:41

    That is next on the list. After I put the fuel system back together. This one doesnt have a spin on filter.

  15. #15The Extractor2025-10-14 21:47

    First I filled the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil, then we drained the oil. No Debris. We then pulled the oil pan and then the main caps one at a time while trying to bar it over and it finally popped loose when we loosened the center main cap under the balance unit. One main bearing cap had some scoring. The others were too tight / stuck to remove. So we put it all back together except for the oil filter and gaskets and it still turns over smoothly after torquing all the bolts. I’m going to get new oil filter and gaskets tomorrow and hopefully re install the injectors and see if it will run again. Do I need new seals or anything for the injectors? Also 4 injector had 2 washers instead of 1 washer like the other 3 injectors.

  16. #16stinky642025-10-15 10:20

    Might want to do a compression test while the injectors are out, if bad compression from damage you're just spinning your wheels. #4 probably had 2 washers due to previous swap and overlooked.

  17. #17The Extractor2025-10-15 10:57

    Good idea. I don’t think I have the tools to adapt to the injector hole for my gauge.

  18. #18HarleyHappy2025-10-16 10:53

    I think I would just chalk it up to a learning experience and start it up. I really hate starting fluid as I have seen and heard of too many horror stories. I have seen motors become addicted to the stuff and it sounds like yours had an overdose. Try WD40 in the future. For me, it’s always the nasty knocking sound of excessive detonation that scares the crap out of me.

  19. #19The Extractor2025-10-17 15:08

    Does WD40 have enough oomph to get it going? Does anyone know if I need to change the seals on the injectors? I purchased them due to being inexpensive and available. Its a Teflon? ring near the tip and a hard plastic washer up top. Anything else I should do before trying to fire it up? I am going to spin it over a bunch to blow out the cylinders.

  20. #20HoeHoeHoe2025-10-17 16:34

    I wouldn't worry about them right now. See if she'll live.

  21. #21The Extractor2025-10-17 23:33

    Well she started up fine but died after a bit because I left the fuel valve off doh! Haha I will address the battery cables and crack the lines tomorrow and get it going. It didn’t sound bad or any different when it started up. I’m pretty sure I just dried the cylinder walls with too much ether on a warm engine and stuck a piston or 4.

  22. #22Welder Dave2025-10-18 02:01

    Hopefully no major damage.

  23. #23Vetech632025-10-18 09:14

    If everything is right, it shouldn't need anything to start.

  24. #24The Extractor2025-10-20 21:26

    Well, it seems no major damage. I ran it for about an hour yesterday using it and it ran just like it used to. Thanks everyone!

  25. #25Welder Dave2025-10-20 23:51

    Great! Keep an eye on the oil level to make sure it's not using a lot.