just wanted to share some lovely sounds, :notworthy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHjdmk1Sng4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NeVft91FzI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awzZasJ2xd4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7XlDYovWh8&mode=related&search= :thumbsup :bouncegri
Those doubles haulers are WAY too dependant on their Jakes!!!:nono :laugh Nice find!
Sounds good once in a while but I never realized how annoying the loud ones can get until you drive one.
I can’t understand drivers who want excessively loud exhaust/Jake brakes. I live near an airport and last summer there was a Peterbuilt o/o doing a delivery to UPS at 5:00 PM each day. The truck had 6†straight pipes and a three stage Jake. When he got to a curve in the road he would down shift three times with the Jake on Hi. It was so loud it rattles every window in my house. (I have double pain windows and can hardly hear the loudest jet taking off) This went on for about a week in till a unmarked CVSE Inspector pulled the truck over after the curve. The inspection of the truck took at least 2 hours, the truck was towed and a UPS Tractor came to P/U the trailer. The o/o must have lost the contract from UPS because I never saw that truck again.
Jakes can be loud even with a quiet exhaust system. It is just plain rude to use them in a residential area or in a rural area around homes. There is one long steep hill in a rural area I drive with a couple of homes nearby. Because of the steepness and length of the hill, I use my jake. I went down the hill the other morning at 6am and didn't use the jake because it was so early.
loud pipes save lifes:yup :naughty :laugh
People with the loud JAKEs give everybody a bad name then there is rules made to prohibbit them. I see it in Vancouver all the time these morons go flying up to light to light with the JAKE on full. Take for instance one of the cement haulers that comes to where I work he used to have a Freightliner Cab Over with big block series 60 with straight pipes. The truck was loud I knew when he was decending the long 10% grade into the yard. It wasn't a rattly bark but it was loud now he has a brandnew Freightliner conventional I forget the model of the truck the new Series 60 same 500hp I can't even hear the truck its so quiet. He says it has the same holding power as his previous truck. He is at our max gvw 63,500kgs which he has been running trucks like that for 20 years. He is a good guy I like talking to him he loves the series 60 detroits. We have other regular trucks that decend the long 10% grade in the evening without the JAKE to respect the neighbours. They will come down the hill in the day time with the JAKE but after 6pm they turn it off. The contractor that I worked for always said if the customer associates you with the noisy annoying truck its hard for business.
:bouncegri Haha
my truck at work is a 6" straight pipe and i find its not to loud in the truck, the pipes also at 12'6 so its a couple feet over the cab. i love it, i'm also 25so i guess the older crowd is past making alot of noise
I love the sound of jake brakes, but if they can be made just as effective and still be mostly quiet then it's worth it to keep in good standing with others. Obviously it must be within reason, people expecting big trucks to sound like cars are nuts. I could hear all the trucks in college. I could almost swear it helped me fall sleep:bouncegri
The Jacobs web site has some good info on this topic. IIRC they claim the noise problem is not the brake but the use of straight pipes instead of mufflers. They have also aggressively fought the use of the Jake name on local ordinance signs. Where you used to see "Jake Brake Use Prohibited" you now see "Engine Brake Use Prohibited". And yes, I think that loud loses its cool factor as you get older (and wiser:thumbsup ):yup
there was a tri axel dump with open side pipes the ran in and out of the quarry and it was loud and if he passed u goind down the hill the pipe would hit u in the ear it looked cool but way to loud
I ran a Ford LTS9000 that had a Cummins with a Jake and full muffler. It really wasn't any louder on deceleration that it was accelerating. The straight pipes are what makes the engine brakes noisy. I ran a Mack DM600 with a 300 Maxidyne and the straight pipe ended right outside the passenger window with a cab protector over it. Talk about noise!! It was cool for about a week, then I began to hate it. In the summer I couldn't run with the window down on that side and the truck had no A/C. I hauled blacktop no less, it got HOT in that truck!!
Legal Retarder An offensive noise from any vehicle is an anoyance! I live in a city where the houses are right up on the street! There is a O/O that run a flat and retards on a .35% (not even 1%) fro 50' in front of my house, and he don't have a load on! ON the other hand, the municipalities DO NOT have the authority to regulate how a driver uses their brakes. If a retarder has the work "brake" associated with it, it falls under the DOT FMCSA as to application of braking mechisums. If the driver feel that the safe operation of their unit requires the use of the compression brake, this Federal Law over rides any and all municipal laws. Been there (in court) done that (and won)! Just like under the rules of evidence, Bear in the Air is hear say. The Officer in the plane by law "Must sign the ticket" if the Officer that pulls you over dosen't have any evidence that you were speeding! This is hear say when an other officer charges you with the crime. Also how how can you swear a camera to uphold the law? Food for thought, as read lights and speeding are laws, and have no civil liability!
I love the sound of a "good" sounding "jake", but there is alot of drivers who are to stupid to care about others. I try not to use mine when im in the towns or cities (especially at night) but sometimes with 40,000+ on and the way some of the towns i go through in PA are i need to use to help walk me down . Luckily, mines got a full muffler on it so it doesnt get loud but has a little rap. Nothing like a little song while rolling through the tunnels on the Pike in PA.
more states are cracking down on the unmufflered trucks CO has a 500.00 fine for it I was at a friends cb shop when a driver stopped and getting out of his truck pulling ear plugs out why would anyone want something that loud you need ear plug to drive it i love the sounds of a good jake but thats a little to much
yea it happen round here too , so i figured i'd have fun with it while i can. i dont use it when i leave the town at 530am and i try not use it to much in neigberhoods
Jimmyjack, Does the Ford belong to you, or do you run it for someone?
no i just drive it for the paving company i work for