Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jason Wynyard, Stihl Timber Sports Champion

Tones ยท 2023-06-06 15:29

He is in the fight of his life Elite athlete Jason Wynyard's agonising wait for cancer diagnosis and treatment The shock of his diagnosis has been compounded by the lengthy and frustrating delays for treatment. www.newshub.co.nz

Replies7
  1. #1Tones2023-06-06 15:42

    Seems like my internet connection is playing up. Can the moderators remove 2 of these posts and leave one. Cheers

  2. #2skyking12023-06-06 15:48

    I know a little boy who survived burkitts.

  3. #3Tones2023-06-06 18:30

    Because the diagnosis seems to have been late I wonder what his chances are. I doubt he'll swing an axe again.

  4. #4OzDozer2023-06-06 20:53

    I'd have to opine his chances of survival are slim. Burkitts lymphoma is a nasty cancer, fast-spreading, and if it's in all his organs, I'd have guess it's too late now, despite the "aggressive" chemotherapy. I've seen a shearer complain about some gut pain, he went to see a doc - the doc said, "make your will, you've got bowel cancer and it's too late, I can't do anything for you". He was dead in 3 mths. Mind you, that was years before chemotherapy became widely available. It seems the drug companies have refined the chemo treatments, and they've got a wide range of new chemicals available now, that are very effective. But at the end of the day, getting to these cancers early is still the trick to beating them.

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-07-02 03:14

    Pretty late to reply but thankfully every 2 or 3 years new treatments are discovered that over the years have greatly contributed to longer life for cancer patients. I'm glad this is the case with multiple myeloma like I have. I have a good chance of 10 years plus. 15 or so years ago I might have been lucky to have 5 years. It doesn't sound very good for Jason but sometimes little miracles do happen. As far as mis-diagnosis and idiot Dr's. it's not limited to certain countries or regions. I had extreme back pain and went to the hospital in an ambulance. 2 paramedics had to move me from the stretcher and put me in a wheelchair after giving me a Morphine shots and Torodal. Dr. had a student examine me. I saw this Dr. the day before after a CT scan ( that didn't show anything because it was inside my bones) and he prescribed Morphine. I was in absolute agony! He comes in says "What do you want us to do for you, you're on strong medication". I know damn well he was treating me like a junkie looking for a high. He didn't look at my medical history despite having a computer right in front of him, or do any diagnosis at all. No tests at all were ordered. Then he says "don't worry most back pain gets better" and discharges me. It wasn't even 5 minutes that he saw me. Later my family Dr. said my blood work was all over the place and sent me to another ER but called the hospital first to say I was coming. I think he may have suspected something. This ER Dr. ordered a more extensive blood test that revealed my calcium level was off the chart! That's when I finally found out what was causing the extreme back pain. I had multiple myeloma which caused compression fractures in my vertebrae. I ended up having compression fractures in 10 of my vertebra. The vertebrae has 33 vertebra so almost 1/3rd had fractures. The other ER Dr. should be fired not only for his arrogance but also for his incompetence. I'm still considering making a formal complaint about him. Would be interesting to hear if he thinks 10 compression fractures might cause severe pain that will get better on its own. I had 2 other ER Dr's. mis-diagnose it as muscle pain but at least they gave me pain killers so I could walk and have some relief. They also weren't treating me like a junkie.

  6. #6Plebeian2023-10-03 20:43

    Jason Wynyard (4th October, 2023) Kiwi wood chopping legend Jason Wynyard dies aged 49 Wynyard won numerous championships in New Zealand and around the world. www.1news.co.nz

  7. #7Tones2023-10-03 21:03

    RIP Jason, a good man gone to soon thanks to a useless medical system.