Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299D3 xe with a HM418c mulch head

Sawhorse · 2023-10-12 08:01

I just recently purchased a new 299d3 xe land management package directly from Cat , with the HM418c mulch head running the standard carbides , I have about 150hrs mulching time on the machine and I have a squeal from the belt drive on the head. I tried to Center the belt but it seems to just roll to the side ( inside ) as it rotates and once the head is working and gains some temperature it squeals as I I mulch , free wheel the head and it does not squeal only while Erving up rpm’s and as I work it. Any thoughts or tips/tricks I can do to rectify this noise ? Seems to work fine and get the job done but squeal the entire time unless I’m free wheelin with no work load on it ! Thank you for any input

Replies7
  1. #1stourpaine2023-10-13 12:18

    As you say its a "New " package did you have the dealer come look at it? they have many resources and as its new should work as described

  2. #2Tones2023-10-13 15:39

    What type of belts are you running?

  3. #3heymccall2023-10-13 16:10
  4. #4IceHole2023-10-13 16:13

    Not sure on this unit, but the ones I've used and worked on have a cogged belt, like a car timing belt.

  5. #5heymccall2023-10-13 16:21

    Its just a cog belt. You may find that slightly overtightening the belt tension, tightening the inboard hex bolts, then slightly loosening the Allen bolts a bit may help.

  6. #6heymccall2023-10-13 16:23

    Just for giggles, flip the belt so the inboard is now the outboard side.

  7. #7Tones2023-10-14 08:56

    I'm guessing it will be a carbon fiber belt and have zero tolerance on misalignment, even the shafts must be parallel at all times. When the bearings wear is enough to cause the belt some grief. If it was my machine it would be going back to the dealer to be checked out. At 150 hours it should be running properly.