Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb 1400b

CIWS14 ยท 2006-10-03 09:36

Hi, I'm new to the site so bear with me. I am looking to purchase a 1988 JCB 1400B 4WD to use on the farm and for play. I have looked at the machine and everything seems to be in order. It has an 80 hp Perkins deisel with glow plugs. Is there anything I should be on the lookout, (besides the normal pin and joint wear) on this backhoe? Any opinions on JCB? Thanks...

Replies9
  1. #1JRP32006-10-03 10:04

    I have no experience with them myself, but everyone I've spoken to with experience has suggested they can be problematic and difficult to find parts for. However they are used extensively throughout the world so they can't be all that bad. I'm sure others with actual experience will chime in.

  2. #2dayexco2006-10-03 10:06

    yeah, if in premo condition, don't pay anymore than $14k. machinerytrader.com shows them selling at auctions for 7-15k

  3. #3lamarbur2006-10-03 12:45

    I've run several JCB's.. the only problem with them is they use Brittish fittings and some odd ball thread design. Not even like standard American thread or basic metric. The piping thread is odd.. When you have a leak or need to replace a line, make sure someone in your neighborhood is set up to do this. Other than the odd thread design, they perform as well as any other brand out there for the year,

  4. #4CascadeScaper2006-10-03 14:06

    All the JCB's I've ever seen had fluid EVERYWHERE. They were always leaking some sort of fluid. I think the newer ones would be alright, but I wouldn't gamble on an older JCB, especially since you can find and older Case 580B or C for about the same price that's twice the machine.

  5. #5CIWS142006-10-03 14:36

    1400b Well, thanks for all the info guys. It's going for just under $11,000 with 2600 hours on it. I need to decide weather I should run...

  6. #6murray832006-10-03 14:48

    I'm with you other than that they are a darn good machine I love the newer jcb cab layout and new pilot controls. I rent a 1990 1400 from a friend of mine for excavation work i do,i've ran cat,case,jcb,deere and out of any of them I'd buy a jcb over any of the others with deere in second when I do buy my machine. As for fluid being everywhere that just shows operator misuse and not doing a proper walk around before starting his machine,also just for fun I was eyeing a 3C model from someone local (clean,priced right and was a solid machine) and i compared it in the field to a case 580D he bought to replace it in fact the older jcb was much better built than the case and was a better digger as well and was 5 grand cheaper oh well his loss.

  7. #7mflah872006-10-03 14:56

    jcb 1400 jcb is the biggest backhoe company in the world, bigger than cat, case, john deere, all of them, so they must know something about building backhoes. if your just screwing around ont he farm that machine would be fine. they do have british fittings for the hose lines. but other than that the machine should be just fun for you.

  8. #8greateroperator2011-06-23 14:42

    i have a 1988 jcb 1400 b 2 wheel drive backhoe i am selling. We used it for digging water services when my Dad was in the underground business. It needs a pulley and a hydraulic hose, I priced the parts at 670.00. Its a good running machine and I have extra buckets for it. I have had it stored at my friends property in Glen Avon, CA and now he is selling the property and I have nowhere to keep it. I will let it go for $4000.00 if you are interested or anyone else. My e-mail is [email protected] .

  9. #9DIG IT2011-06-25 07:45

    We love our 214 E 4x4. Yes the hose lines are a pain but first you need to blow one.