Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1400B

Montana_Jeremy · 2019-10-15 14:51

1988 JCB 1400B w/ the perkins and shuttle shift trans. Serial 339303. I have the service manual. What I can't find are specs for fluids -- it seems that everything is special this or that. Do you know if there are any suitable equivalents out there? 3 hours of research this AM is telling me that Type F fluid might be suitable for the trans. Is universal fluid really universal for the transmission fluids? I have an automotive mechanic background and know these things matter.

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-10-15 18:17

    Welcome to HEF, Montana_Jeremy ! Can you post an image of the pages in your service manual that shows the fluids JCB specifies ? Doing that will enable someone to help you.

  2. #2Montana_Jeremy2019-10-15 19:52

    They simply list "JCB Special Transmission Fluid" -- no specs whatsoever! The same goes with all of the fluids -- its just mind-numbing. Manual: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#s...rcJHsHlmltRdZxkxgfTHsLlZQkCVbKkRg?projector=1

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-10-15 22:54

    Be sure to read post #4 and #5. Nige knows what he was talking about. Your answer is here ----> HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4LN Pipeline2019-10-15 23:46

    A & I Distributors should be able to find an alternative oil to any “JCB oil” if you plan on changing other fluids. Probably way cheaper than any jug that has JCB written on it. I’ve had good luck with them. It’s possible they deliver near you. They deliver to our door for almost nothing. http://aidistributors.com/locations/

  5. #5Montana_Jeremy2019-10-16 09:57

    Thanks guys! Sorry I missed that thread. Grateful for the guidance!!

  6. #6Coytee2019-10-18 16:24

    I've got a 1550B. When I was talking to the dealer (probably 20 years ago) they told me I need "AW-32". Ok fine. I've been using AW-32 that I buy at my local Car-Quest and the machine has been fine for 20 years of ownership.

  7. #7Montana_Jeremy2019-10-24 10:34

    I ended up going with the Mobil HD 10W trans oil. I heard exactly what you said as well after the fact -- very grateful you posted as this confirms I made an ok call given the compatibility. The last thing I want to be doing is rebuilding the transmission because of the oil I put in it.