Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1400b hydraulic fluid

1400b ยท 2020-12-22 10:56

Does anyone know if iso 46 fluid is ok to use in the hydraulic system of a 1986 jcb 1400b backhoe? I want to drain the tank and replace with new fluid, and what is the capacity of the hydraulic tank. Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1casey5182021-01-11 22:06

    I replaced mine with iso 46 when i bought it. Im not sure what was in it. Probably all kinds of stuff. Id say 32 and 46 are fine. I went 46 because i think my pumps a bit worn and i know it runs stronger when the fluid is cooler and thicker. I think the tank is 15-20 gallons depending on what position all your cylinders are in. If you haven't done it yet retract as many cylinders as you can to get as much fluid out as possible. if you dont have a big ass drain pan a drill pump removes most of it pretty fast out the filler. then get the rest with the drain plug. Check your pump intake for a screen. Mine was missing it and that's probably why my pump is weak. also clean your power steering screen while your in there.

  2. #21400b2021-01-13 13:36

    Thanks so much for the information, casey518