Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1400B lost steering

ShaneWY ยท 2014-06-02 10:09

have a JCB 1400B sitemaster 2WD. The other day I lost the steering and now the steering wheel just freewheels around and around. I pulled the steering valve. The end of the steering shaft that engages the valve looks to be in good shape. I expected splines to be stripped or a woodruff key to be sheared or something like that. On the valve, there is only about a quarter inch that the steering shaft can go into, which seems odd. I would normally have thought that the steering shaft broke off in the valve, but the shaft looks good, as I stated. In the hole where the shaft goes, everything looks smooth like it is supposed to be that way. I just can't imagine there only being a quarter inch of hole for the shaft to engage with. Thoughts? Anyone have a picture of a steering valve? Shane

Replies2
  1. #1melben2014-06-02 11:44

    I would not be quick to condemn the steering handpump. I have seen this problem on Case which I have worked my career on and in almost every instance it has been cylinder packing failure and oil bypassing through the cylinder without resistance. I would plug off the lines where they go into the steering cylinder with caps and plugs and see if that locks your wheel up. If the problem persists only then would I suspect the valve. I am not familiar with JCB and their systems but many on here are and will be coming forth with more info. I am just speaking from my experiences. HTH

  2. #2ShaneWY2014-06-03 00:42

    I have the hoses to the valve still attached. Today I found a chisel that was the right size to engage the splines of the valve. With the engine started I was able to turn the chisel fairly easily and turn the front tires. I know that I don't have hydraulic problem. I'm not sure if the shaft was engaged with the valve. I would guess not. Just above floor level on the shaft is a rubber disc which I assume is some sort of damper. I wonder if this got tired and flexed and allowed the lower portion of the shaft to come up and out of the valve.