Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1400B, replacing leaking hydraulic gaskets questions…

puma1973 ยท 2014-06-02 09:44

More stupid newbie questions here. I have a 1987 JCB 1400b, the hydraulics are leaking on top of the loader "block". Both assemblies that the control rods connect to are leaking pretty good, out of the blocks that are shaped like car thermostat housing gasket, that the lift spools slide in. I do not know squat about these items. I snugged up the bolts that hold blocks down but they still leak, telling me they need new gaskets. sorry if some of the terms I used are incorrect. My questions are: Can I just replace the gaskets? Should I replace more while this is apart? Is my local JCB dealer (AIS) the best place to get parts for this task? What steps do i take to make sure there is no pressure in this system before disassembly? After replacing gaskets or whatever else is recommended, is there any special steps that need to be done(bleeding,adjusting, etc.) Any tips would be appreciated. Also, when pushing the rod fully down (to lower bucket) it sticks a little when pushed all the way and needs a slight quick pull back to release, is this normal or should something here be replaced/renewed?

Replies5
  1. #1fishfighter2014-06-05 16:15

    That looks like a wiper seal. To get the pressure off everything, drop the hoe extended down all the way and if you have a loader, that too! Oh stabilizers too! Shut down the engine and then work all the controls to bleed off anymore pressure in the system. Once nothing is moving, the pressure should but at 0. Still be careful and use safety equipment.

  2. #2greg95042014-06-05 17:00

    If you post or pm me the machine serial number I may be able to get you an exploded parts view of the valves.

  3. #3puma19732014-06-06 12:31

    fishfighter, thanks for the advice about pressure. I do not have the book in front of me and i cannot remember the exact name of the seal that i think is the culprit. It is the one between the blocks(part #4 in manual for my machine). I am going to replace this on both spools along with the 2 orings. nothing is leaking out of the top seal that can be seen in the picture, it is coming out of the sides of the blocks. greg9504, thanks for the offer, but i have a parts manual so am all set there.

  4. #4Jock2014-06-08 08:53

    Hey mate With regard to the lever sticking, that is your float control. It's a detent to hold the spool all the way down, it makes it easier for loading and clearing

  5. #5puma19732014-06-09 10:15

    Jock, Thanks for that info. I kind of thought that but was not sure.