Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1400B Transmission issues

l8000 ยท 2013-08-24 19:27

I just bought a JCB 1400B backhoe and am having some issues. It has the mechanical linkage rather than electric. The backhoe was fine on level ground but lacked pushing power. Now it refuses to move forward at all. Does move a bit when first engaged. Reverse works perfect. Also the small pedal to the left of the brake pedals doesn't do anything. I assume this is the clutch? I have already cleaned the screen and changed fluid. I put ford type f ATF in it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Cliff2042013-10-21 19:52

    I am currently looking at a JCB 1400 B to purchase. Have you fixed your problem yet? How does the JCB work out for you. Any maintenance issue I should be aware of before buying? You don't say, but what year is your backhoe? The research I've done on JCB seems to indicate that they have lots of electrical issues, like switches and solinods and stuff. Good luck.

  2. #2trackdoc2013-10-21 20:26

    Hi there, over here it's a 3cx. Not an expensive fix, you need remove the gearbox and open the front section of the gearbox right behind the transmission pump/ bell housing , and replace the plates and discs in forward gear. There is a bevel spring in there that quite often breaks. In machines of that age I use 15/40 in the torque. They are really sensitive about the oil level in there, I overfill them and let em blow out what the don't need.

  3. #3trackdoc2013-10-21 20:57

    Hi there, over here it's a 3cx. Not an expensive fix, you need remove the gearbox and open the front section of the gearbox right behind the transmission pump/ bell housing , and replace the plates and discs in forward gear. There is a bevel spring in there that quite often breaks. In machines of that age I use 15/40 in the torque. They are really sensitive about the oil level in there, I overfill them and let em blow out what the don't need.