Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 1550 2wd Hydraulic Pump drive shaft removal?

Rick11 ยท 2015-07-10 19:03

Anyone here know how to remove the short drive shaft that goes from the front of the motor to the hydraulic pump? I removed the bolts at the crank but can not find a big enough hole to remove the shaft to replace U joint. Everyone of my knuckles are bleeding and still no further ahead than when I started . Also does the yoke just slide off the pump shaft, I can't see any set screws or anything. I am wondering if maybe the pump needs to be removed and that may give room to slide it out the front but don't want to take the pump off and this doesn't work either. I tried searching the forum but nothing relevant came up.

Replies3
  1. #1Rick112015-07-11 20:30

    Couldn't find a way to take the drive shaft out so I am removing the hydraulic pump. Just have the 2 main bolts to remove in the morning they are in bad shape and need to rig up torches to burn off. Along with the u joints and am changing the oil intake flange that was broke (pictured below) it just bolts to the side of the pump. I checked the dealer to get a replacement and they want $800 for a new one. There is no way I am paying that much, I will make one myself from 3/8" flat bar and a piece of pipe welded together. Instead of the rubber "O" ring I will cut a piece of good gasket material. I never priced the u joints but they look like a standard size, so I am hoping I can find ones that will fit somewhere other than the dealer!

  2. #2Rick112015-07-13 21:13

    Still can't get the drive shaft off the pump side, in this replacement shaft picture it looks like a set screw holds the spline on the shaft. Mine is rusted and no sign of a set screw just a lump of rust. Any ideas how to get it off, going to be a bugger to get a drill in there. I wonder if I take the rad out if I could get at it?

  3. #3jhinshel2016-03-22 08:55

    Please let me know if you managed to get the shaft off the pump and if so, how you did this.