Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jcb 1550b Hydraulic pump is leaking

megalos ยท 2013-03-16 13:52

Hello I have a JCB 1550b , the hydraulic pump in the front was leaking from the side where the hydraulic tank was feeding the pump through a 2 inch hose, i replaced the hose and the o ring which was leaking which took care of this leak, but i also have a leak coming from the rear of the pump which i can not see the actual leak as everything it tight and hidden , i suspect it is another seal which is hidden at the rear. How can the pump be removed and the seal be replaced? Would the front 4 bolts have to be removed or is there another way, i have not removed a pump before , i am very handy and have repaired many parts but first time with this type of problem. Any Sugestions or input would be greatly appriciated? Thank you Tom:

Replies7
  1. #1mikebramel2013-03-16 22:27

    Yes probably the shaft seal. I would put some UV dye in the oil and make sure that is where it is coming fromand at what rate

  2. #2megalos2013-03-17 16:07

    will check that thank you for the input, will check that, the rate is small just couple of drops per day, just a note it is leaking when the engine and pump is not operating, even when its down couple of weeks it is leaking at a slow pace every day, just couple of drops, but when its idle for after couple of weeks it becomes a small puddle.

  3. #3cherokee1012016-01-17 20:38

    Did you find your leak on the pump? Mine is leaking now. I took it out and thought it was fixed. Wrestled it back in and it still leaks. Next time I take it out I'll take it to a shop to get it checked.

  4. #4hookedondiesel2016-01-18 01:41

    John Deere dealers have a dye (red) you can add to the hydraulic fluid, it makes it easier to see leaks. Let me know if you need the part number for it.

  5. #5cherokee1012016-01-18 09:36

    I may need to try that but for now the oil is moving pretty fast. Did I understand that you had a pump problem? Was it on the 210 or some other machine? 210s and other JCBs seem complex hydraulically, maybe I just know too much but I don't see other equipment with as many test ports or accumulators. If you did have a pump problem did you find a replacement? The pump on this machine has some really strange / unique inlet and outlet fittings.

  6. #6hookedondiesel2016-01-18 10:21

    No, I personally have not had a pump problem.

  7. #7cherokee1012016-01-18 10:35

    Good. I'm in another quest for parts. I guess I'll try Ontrack for a consult.