Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new holland 555E wont shut down

riprtacine ยท 2013-03-16 08:20

i recently purchased a 1999 New Holland 555E with approx. 2900 hrs on it. if i run it for more than an hour or so it will occasionally not shut down. i have to unplug the wire to the solenoid on the fuel distributor. and even at that all the electrical components stay energized. I've been told its the ignition switch itself but am not sure how to check. id like to be sure before i buy a 300$ ignition switch for nothing. also.. could there be a relay sticking somewhere? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2013-03-16 09:06

    That's a strange one..NORMALLY its the other way around..no juice from the switch..If it were mine, before I sunk 300.00 on a switch I didnt know was bad, I would buy a Battery disconnect switch for a few dollars from the auto parts store, especially if ALL the electronics stayed on when the key was off.. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful..

  2. #2El Hombre2013-03-16 14:07

    I'd take thepumpguysc's advice and get a battery disconnect. You WILL be spending more money on parts, spend the $300 on something that doesn't have a cheap work around like the disconnect. Get a service manual as a first part buy, then you can trace the wiring and maybe figure out what's wrong. Electrical troubleshooting over the net is one hard task.

  3. #3Deon2013-03-16 21:14

    The battery switch sounds like a good thing. I have installed one on the negative battery cable. I installed it so I can turn it off when I am not in the machine to prevent any possibility of battery discharge or electrical fire. But, if I turn off that switch with the engine running, the engine keeps running. It may not run for ever but I know it will run for 10 seconds. What is keeping the fuel switch on with the negative cable cut? Can someone tell me. I have a 1992 JD 310D.

  4. #4fpgm042013-03-16 22:07

    Deon, With the engine running you have 2 power sources on your vehicle. The battery and alternator. By disconnecting the battery, the fuel system and other electrical engine components can still get power and a ground path to/from the alternator. I suspect you are also stressing all electrical components as the battery also stabilizes the voltage in the vehicle. For example, I would guess your lights get brighter under batteryless operation as the alternator will raise the vehicle voltage up to 16+ volts. Riprtacine, I would also suspect that a battery disconnect switch will not shut off your 555E. You can try it, but it may be that the alternator will keep your engine running. It sounds like to me that you have lost a ground path in your system. The ignition switch probably only open circuits the power to your engine, but does not connect a ground to the same wires. I would question if an ignition switch would fix your issue. I also don't know why a switch would cost $300. This may sound strange, but I have seen vehicles where light bulbs in the instrument cluster were actually providing the ground bleed off path to the ignition system. Has any modifications been made to your vehicle that would affect the ground paths, perhaps a relay taken out of the panel? Also have any indicator lights been taken out or burned out of your instrument cluster?

  5. #5sheepfoot2013-03-16 22:51

    Some of the 555e had the master switch on the rt side of the engine, frame area between starter and fan. I would pull the side dash and slip the key switch out, if you check for current with the key off their will be one wire that is hot ( should be red). The harness connect is called C072 , looking at the male end, across the top with the lock tab up, lt to rt is light-blue/brown-black/red, lower is light-blue/ white/ white-black. Remove the switch noteing where the wires are connected, run a jumper wire to the term where the red is hooked up, use a test light to check for current on the other connects, if any other lugs are hot with the key off i would replace the switch.