Had machine for maybe 20 years. Been noticing fan hitting shroud... never looked into it other than looking at it. Other day, noticed that the pump drive was angled DOWN (pump higher than crank). I had my ah-ha moment... my motor mounts are likely pancaked. Looked and yeah, they look pretty bad. Waiting for dealer to get back with me on price & get them shipped out. Is it really as simple as it looks? Loosen one corner, (perhaps both fronts?) raise engine, replace one at a time, lower and tighten??? I never have anything go that easy on me. Is there a third mount in the back? I glanced but didn't see one however, there might be a transmission mount that would be replaced with these (???) To raise engine, am I going to break anything if I put some wood on a car jack and lift on the oil pan cover? On a glance, I didn't notice anywhere else to push up. I didn't look at hoisting from above yet. From below would be much easier for me. Thanks in advance!!
You have a perkins diesel with a cast oil pan? Should be ok to jack up there. If it was a stamped metal pan then no. Does this machine just have the round rubber mounts? Those are easy to change.
Yep, Perkins and what appears to be a cast iron cover. I'm thinking 'easy peasy', loosen bolts, lift under pan, slide old out, new in, lower & tighten. Things just don't go that easy for me... there's always a gotcha! Example, on same machine, needed steering cylinder straightened and resealed. Fine, I take it off.... can't get one side off, pin is S.T.U.C.K. No worries, I'll fix it in place. THEN I see it's bent so it has to come off. Also, the bearings are near shot in the steering knuckle so really need to fix.. the king pin will NOT come out. Been soaking with oil, heating with rosebud, sledhammer, welded some steel on top to act as lever to hit with sledge... it's just laughing. Am not working on fabricating (a friend of mine) a cradle to hold a 30 ton bottle jack to see if we can persuade it with that. So looking at the motor mounts, they appear to be straight forward and easy.... which has my caution raised!!! Seems there's always a gotcha in there somewhere so thought I'd ask.
Yeah those stuck pins are the worst.