Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb 1cx poor starter in cold

Mike's · 2023-01-17 08:23

I have a 2007 jcb 1cx works fine when warm but this winter will not start in cold . What should I check for . Does turn over has new battery but just won’t start?

Replies14
  1. #1Arny L2023-01-17 16:43

    Are you giving glow plugs at least 10 seconds to pre heat. Is there a glow plug indicator lighting up. If not, check fuse for glow plugs, if that checks out, check for 12 volts at each actual glow plug. If that checks out, then you would either remove and check each plug individually for resistance and or continuity, or spend the big money, and buy a set. That's a Perkins engine is it not. There are, of course other reasons for it not starting, but based on your warm weather cold weather, observation, I would start there.

  2. #2Mike's2023-01-18 03:45

    Thanks for quick reply. Yes it is a Perkins 404c-22 engine. I have allowed time for glow plugs on ignition . I have noticed braided wire from starter motor capacitor to starter motor is smoking and insulation is burnt off. So I am going to check that. The light for glow plugs is coming in. Thanks I will check glow plugs next.

  3. #3Arny L2023-01-18 12:21

    Yes definitely replace the ground strap, it has to much resistance, if its getting hot. Your cranking RPM has to be above 250 give or take, to aid in starting, your starter could also be drawing to many amps as well. I had an old truck one time that would always give me a static shock, when I went to get out. The fix was replacing the braided eng to chassis ground strap. So its fairly important for a variety of reasons,

  4. #4ThreeCW2023-01-18 13:16

    Using a clamp on amp meter is a good external check to confirm if glow plug are functioning or not. When I last measured mine on my CAT 242B with a Perkins 3024C, it was 41.5 amps for the main glow plug lead and with about 1/4 of that going to each glow plug.

  5. #5Mike's2023-01-30 05:28

    Thanks for that . I have replaced starter motor as braided wire was over heated . I have changed out the glow plugs cylinder 2 and 3 looked oily! Replace the pre fuel filter . smoking black smoke and still not start seems like oil in smoke . I have a feeling this might be piston rings? What do I do next ?

  6. #6Mike's2023-01-30 05:35

    I am going to try and arrange a compression test to see what that tells me.?

  7. #7Arny L2023-01-30 15:35

    Did you verify 12v at glow strip. Did you verify fuel at injectors. Compression test is not a bad idea, but is really my last choice, because there are lots of other conditions that could cause this. How many hours on this machine. Ever adjust valves. Dirty air filter. Black smoke is a sign of too much fuel, or not enough air.

  8. #8Mike's2023-01-30 17:05

    Yes there was 12v at glow plugs. Yes I have got someone coming to help check the injectors next.thanks for the reassurance it could still be one of many things starting to get a doomed sense about this . I was trying to build a house !

  9. #9Mike's2023-02-15 09:14

    Managed to get a compression test kit and tested cylinders 1 440 psi 2 450psi 3 140psi 4 100psi after drop of oil in 3 it read 200psi and in 4 read 180psi . Does this suggest it is the piston rings or cylinders or could it be valve related ? Mike

  10. #10ThreeCW2023-02-15 10:45

    As a next step, I would suggest to check and adjust the valve lash if it is out of spec. This might get you back some of the missing compression.

  11. #11Arny L2023-02-15 15:09

    I agree with ThreeCW, better to eliminate the easiest repair to make, than diving into an overhaul. When you get it running next time, try removing oil fill cap and see if your getting alot of blow by. That's a good clue. Or see if your mechanic has manometer.

  12. #12Delmer2023-02-15 21:33

    Another thing to try, while adjusting the valves, hook up a leak down compression test, and see where the air pressure goes, out the crankcase vent, or out the intake or exhaust manifold, or out the other cylinder injector hole. The piston has to be at TDC on the firing stroke, valves closed, to keep from rotating the engine with the air.

  13. #13Mike's2023-06-15 10:30

    Just thought I would give an update. Bad news on the engine . It was blowing a lot of oil out of the exhaust on start up when I got it going . So we pulled the engine and I have had it rebuilt . All well now running great fitted a new water pump and injector leak off rail running great. Most important thing is it starts and can get back to work ! Thanks for all the help . I have started the process of leaning all about these engines and machines.thanks to you all !

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-06-15 19:05

    Wonder if someone used too much ether getting it started?