Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Low compression caterpillar 232d

Driverof1 · 2023-01-16 19:27

Bought a 2015 cat 232d skid steer. Has 9000 hrs and starter failed. Changed starter and found compression on 4 cylinders 390,150,90,390. I don’t know the history of the machine. Things to check that may be causing low compression before parting out the machine? And how to inspect them. What is your opinion of the value of parting this machine out?

Replies3
  1. #1ahart2023-01-16 19:56

    I’d be leaning towards worn piston rings, I’d probably pull the head off of it and see what’s going on. You might pull your air pipes off and see if there’s any dirt in them after the air filter. That will give you an idea of whether the engine has been dusted or not.

  2. #2Junkyard2023-01-16 20:25

    Having been into a couple of those little motors I’m going with cracked piston. Poor service intervals, wrist pins get stuck and crack ‘em. Just a wild guess lol.

  3. #392U 34062023-01-16 20:42

    2 side by side. Wonder if the head or head gasket failed between those 2 holes.