:Banghead JCB wiring problem ! :Banghead My brother-in-law has a 210s up at his camp // future house in Maine. Machine always worked great and has forks, backhoe buckets, and a great loader. Last year apparently he had a wiring melt-down in the harness as it runs from the cab to the engine compartment. Whoever routed the harness the way they did through the unit sure didn’t do a good job on this one. I went up and looked at it to see if I could help him out. WOW.. it was bad. He had already tried repairing everything, but it just fired again. I started to jack-up the cab a little to get some of the harnesses out. Got a few pulled here and there, but WOW-WOW a lot of carbon and oxidized copper. Why do the JCB’ers wire the way they do? It looks like they have everything wired all the way to the switched item, and then send another wire back to their common ground as well. SO to switch a bulb you would have a thin wire coming off of the post for the starter, running all the way back (around all of the cab’s sharp and/or vibrating corners) to the dash board –to the switch, then return all the way to the light bulb, then return from there all the way back to ground. Why didn’t they just setup a positive buss-bar being feed by a single BIG wire in the cab and fuse each circuit off of there? Likewise with the grounds? I mean it seems a lot of extra works and materials to do it there way. It is not like there is only a few circuits. There are tons of them to all of the sending units, switches, sensors, etc. I imagine that this is not the only JCB that had had it’s wiring pinched enough to cause this thermo-melt-down. Other than spend thousands on getting another harness; has anyone rewired their unit back together once this happened with any success? It would also help to get info on what circuits are needed to run and operate. Accessories like lights, heater, etc can wait until time allows. Once it is running and working I hope that these accessories can be fixed on special wiring-hang-around-the-campfire-trips. Nice to have something to focus on,,,, and an excuse stored in the back pocket. It is too bad it is so far away, and I’m only remembering stuff from August as I sit here, but come spring –when his tenant is out- I expect to go back up and try to get it to run and operate some for him. Would really love some war-stories about your endeavors and/or advice. As ALWAYS; I appreciate any time you may expend on this for me. Your suggestions ( not wise-cracks ) are greatly appreciated in advance.
hi i have done a few jcb of different models that have had melt downs some to do with wireing other insurance claims that people tell you it was the machines fault when there is a faint smell of flamable liquid but that another story i would say if the wireing is as bad as you say it may be better to put new wireing in i have tried repairing some but you seem to keep chaseing different faults over and over it causes problems further down the line if its a small wireing problem its worth trying to repair it you should be ok i have in the past got a second hand wireing harness and got away with it with no major problem i got mine from digger doctor uk he may help you just google him he may have wireing diagrammes as well good luck mate
Thank you. I will break the ice with him, but I'm still inclined to try to wire up just the necessities. So if you have any suggestion and tips on what needs to be connected to get it to run, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!
hi how old is your machine this will depend on the electrics on it if your not sure send a picture i will try and identify it