Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 212 hydraulic hose???

John White · 2010-09-09 20:26

I have a JCB 212 that I am going to have to replace a couple of hoses. Are these metric? Can I have them made up at a hydraulic hose shop, or have to mortgage the house and go to JCB.?

Replies18
  1. #1willie592010-09-09 20:39

    Most likely some form of European fittings. Many JCB's used British Pipe Inverted Flare fittings. Most any good hose shop should be able to make hoses for you, I don't have a problem in my area.

  2. #2fixithud2010-09-11 16:59

    jcb hyd hose The threads are British Paralell Pipe or some such thing. My shop has adapters in stock that convert that thread to jic. I keep a few on the tractor and if I have a blown hose napa or whoever can make it no sweat. Hud

  3. #3frogfarmer2010-09-11 17:45

    A good shop can make you hoses no mortgage required.

  4. #4xcmark2010-09-12 09:29

    jcb rubber lines are about 1/3 more then a good hose shop, Napa can make hoses . If you need steel lines JCB parts are worth priceing if you need a laugh! I just priced out replacing the hard lines going to the drive motors on my skidsteer , a 18" long 1" line with 3 bends in it and a flat plate that bolts to the hull is over $650 with a 23% discount off list price!!!!!!!!!!! *** I currnetly have the machine a specialty shop called Northland Willette that is located in Wrentham Mass. They looked at it and said they can fab any of the steel lines in Stainless or regular hard lines and I will get a qoate from them on monday to do all the work . If you have hoses made make sure you wash and blow the clean on the inside , the way they cut hose is with a grider and you dont want that crap going threw your system! Cap or tape the hose up when your running it threw dirty areas!

  5. #5stock2010-09-12 09:49

    Do you not have a manual???? BSP British Standard Pipe either 3/8",1/2",5/8" on most JCB

  6. #6willie592010-09-12 10:10

    Why, yes I do! A fine Irish lad sent it to me. It covers the 214 and up, 212 more than likely shares many components though. And yes, fittings are BSP, never had any problem getting hoses made with BSP fittings in my area. Only thing that gets tricky here is if you need BSP fittings that fit into valves and such, shops don't stock a large inventory of misc. BSP fittings, not nearly as much as SAE fittings.

  7. #7cherokee1012015-12-01 22:19

    What about the little O-ring on BSPP Female Swivels? Here is the thing though. I need to make up 10 hoses (covers are all cracked up and the wire rusted) on my JCB 210 S. The ends are sure enough BSPP 3/8 x 3/8 Hose but they have a little O-ring on them and I can' t find a Weatherhead or any other fitting with the O-ring. Some stuff says the O-ring is not necessary. Is it? Will just the tapered end BSPP female swivel from Weatherhead work? I sure can't find a Weatherhead with the O-ring. The last hose I had made was a Gates end and the spec is: • Fitting is Gates Mega Crimp PN G25830-0606 Description 6G-6FBSPORX BSPORX Straight Swivel Fitting with O-ring 3/8”, 19 TPI Now I got this a NAPA and it indicates that there is the little O-ring but I can't find a picture of it and I don't want to take the hose off to see if it really does have an O-ring... I can but don't want to. I successfully bid on a Weatherhead Portable Crimping machine. I have so many things that need hose and get to irritated in having to pay $35 for a 2' hose I bought a machine on Ebay. Very proud to own one.

  8. #8mikebramel2015-12-01 22:29

    No, that's a Gates special. Just like the hex sizes on their hose ends. They're better... but different

  9. #9willie592015-12-01 22:51

    Yes there are some BSPP fittings that have an o-ring on the cone cherokee, and likewise there's plenty that don't have the o-ring as well. I've never had an issue using hose fittings that do not have the o-ring on the cone.

  10. #10hookedondiesel2015-12-02 07:28

    Discount Hydraulic Hose has all the fittings you need to "change over" from BSPP to NPTT or JIC. Once you do the adapter conversion, you get get your hoses pretty much anywhere.Some of them come with the washer and "O" ring. http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/316_Stainless_Steel_British_Standard_Pipe_BSP_s/282.htm

  11. #11cherokee1012016-01-04 14:33

    Thanks I didn't say thanks for the reply. Thanks. Looks like almost all my stuff on the 210S is 3/8" but I still don't understand why there is the O-ring type BSPP flare fitting option. I guess this is just an enhancement that is compatible either way? There are some of what look like BSPP ORB type fittings on ports and such. I need to build some adapters to cross over to AG type quick connects. I got tired of having to go find a shop that has the right fittings in stock be it SAE, JIC, BSPP, DIN, Komatsu or whatever for my group of orphans so I bought a Weatherhead press with a good start on dies. Nice manual unit so I'll stock a few of what I need and hose. Most things are 3/8" or 1/2" hose and that makes it simple. So the metal flare BSPP will work fine and I don't need the fancy O-ring type seal right? I really like my machine but I'm afraid of what will happen when something goes wrong with the transmission or something else. The things look complicated to fix. I have a leak on the hydraulic pump from somewhere and there isn't a replacement being made anywhere now.

  12. #12cherokee1012016-01-04 14:40

    I note the O-rings are like an ORB face seal and that is not what I have. It is a flare fitting with an O-ring instead of a tapered all metal male with the swivel. I believe my machine is a '94 as well. My hoses on the loader have finally weathered to pieces and burst.

  13. #13cherokee1012016-01-04 14:44

    I don't know if it is just a Gates special because the hoses appear to be OEM. I did get a Gates replacement that has the O-ring at Napa though but I'm trying to find Weatherhead type fittings that will work with my new crimp machine and also work with the JCB. I did finally take the hose off and it does have an O-ring on the tapered end.

  14. #14mikebramel2016-01-04 19:37

    Post a picture... there won't be anymore guessing on what you mean

  15. #15AussieChris2016-01-04 19:56

    Not sure if it's much help but... I have a newer model JCB and yes, all the hose fittings are BSPP with a 30° inverted cone (like you describe). Like yours, most of the hoses are 3/8". They all have the O-ring on the cone as standard but that type if fitting is almost impossible to find here. I have replaced a few hoses with the non O-ring version and have had no leaks. I read somewhere that some mining regulations now insist on all fittings having an "elastomer" seal (an O-ring) for environmental reasons but you'll be fine with the metal to metal fittings (and yes they interchange). Also, the port fittings you mentioned will probably be SAE threads - actually UNO or UN O-ring boss (UNF threads). So at the valve blocks you would have a fitting that has a UNF male (with O-ring) going into the valve and the other side will be BSPP male with a 30° (60° included angle) female cone that takes your hose fitting. A set of thread gauges is a big help along with digital calipers. On my machine it's pretty consistent... 1/4" hoses for pilot and hydraclamps: ¼”x19tpi BSPP 30° conical seat with 6x1mm O-ring and 19mm hex nut 3/8" for loader and excavator rams: 3/8”x 19 BSPP 30° conical seat with 8x1mm O-ring 22mm hex 5/8" for auxiliary piping: 5/8” x 14 BSPP 30° conical seat with 16x1mm O-ring and 30mm hex 3/4" for Hi Flow pipes and hydrostatic drives: 3/4” x 14 BSPP 30° conical seat 18x1mm O-ring 32mm hex Most ports on valve blocks are UNO-boss eg: 9/16”x18 UNO nipple for 1/4" hoses Only on a JCB would you have BSP (British) fittings with metric spanner sizes joined to American UNF port fittings with inch spanner sizes! Congrats on the crimping machine - wish I had one. Chris.

  16. #16cherokee1012016-01-17 15:04

    Chris. Great info and I thank you for it. I finally got a new phone and camera to post some explanatory pictures for others. Except for the o ring these are in all respects BSPP 3/8. I'll be attempting to rig up a small flail on the backhoe when I can with the intention of using it to cut brush along the fences. F or that I plan to add a circuit on the back via the breaker valve that is already in place but has no connection fitting.

  17. #17cherokee1012016-01-17 15:27

    BSPP O-Ring Swivel Attached are pictures to clear things up? On the right in the first picture is a Gates fitting with the O-ring. I'm just going to go with plain Weatherhead BSPP fittings I guess.

  18. #18hookedondiesel2016-01-18 01:20

    Good info for sure, one thing I dislike about some of the fittings on a JCB is that, the steel pipe has no support nut to hold when attaching a hydraulic hose to it, I'm always afraid od bending or breaking the pipe when tightening it. I don't like using vise grips to hold the pipe but its all I can think of.