Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

n series

cat320 ยท 2010-09-09 18:45

Case is bring out a new series. calle the N series. I wounder what this series will have over the M ?

Replies29
  1. #1pwrstroke6john2010-09-10 10:01

    I read somewhere that their going to a fabricated backhoe.

  2. #2gggraham2010-09-10 23:06

    Yes it is a fabricated boom, and the hoses run inside the boom like the old 680/780. Seems like a step backwards to me. They will also be running piston pumps and there will be no more mechanical controls it will be pilot controls only.

  3. #3mitch5042010-09-11 03:21

    http://www.casenseries.com/

  4. #4Runfaster2010-09-22 19:16

    Some of what you said is true and some is not true. The N series will have mechanical controls or pilot controls on the straight N with a gear pump. The supers will run piston pumps, but they still have an option to run foot swing controls or two lever controls in addition to the pilots.

  5. #5JS580SL2010-09-22 20:14

    Glad to hear that. Asked my boss the other day to trade my machine in on a series 3 M so I could keep with 4 stick. He agreed as Im not a fan of pilots much and he's afraid of them for some reason even though he rarely ever runs a hoe.

  6. #6Runfaster2010-09-22 21:13

    As far as I know the series 3 is now out of production and the N series starts production in October. However I do not know how many will be off the line in October. I will bet that there will only be a small number off the line by November and the real production will not be until first quarter. I am just guessing that based on how new production normally seems to start and that dealers don't like stocking a lot of units at the end of the year.

  7. #7cjayw2010-09-22 21:49

    That pretty much matches what my dealer explained.

  8. #8gggraham2010-09-22 23:08

    I don't know why Case doesn't do away with 2 and 4 lever controls. We have maybe 3 or 4 customers with mechanical controls. Most of our customers run Supers. In our branch area most are owner operators running Supers M's with Air Ride Seat, A/C, Ride Control, Deluxe cab, Extendahoe, Pilot, 4WD, Aux(BIC).

  9. #9JS580SL2010-09-23 17:43

    Around here most companys are going with pilots but were I work majority of all the owner ops and subs run 4stick or mechanical controls. Sales men around here say they cant sell the pilots to the guys doing utility work.

  10. #10Runfaster2010-09-23 19:19

    I am out in the Western US and our customers uses mostly foot swing.

  11. #11Tigerotor77W2010-09-23 19:58

    Probably the first shots: http://www.forconstructionpros.com/...se-Redesigns-the-580-Backhoe-Loader/4FCP17842

  12. #12JS580SL2010-09-23 21:52

    Wow im impressed.

  13. #13d4c24a2010-09-24 14:57

    same around here ,i have had a 590 with pilots while mine (590 with sticks) has been having a new trans fitted ,i could not wait for the sticks back and i do all utility work ,we also have owner operators who tried pilots ,but have gone back to sticks

  14. #14Goose2010-09-24 19:24

    Looking through the spec sheet they are still offering foot swing, 2 lever and pilot controls on all models. The 580N is still has the gear pump and all the rest have the piston pump. It does have a fabricated boom and larger pins, a longer loader frame to get into dump trucks farther, the radio is in the side post instead of the headliner, plastic fuel tank and power lift available on all but the straight 580N. That is about all I seen on the comarision sheet between the M and N series.

  15. #15Runfaster2010-09-24 19:31

    The N models are: 580N, 580SN, 580SN Wide Track and 590SN. They all have options for foot swing and pilot controls.

  16. #16Runfaster2010-09-24 19:33

    Also there are no more plus (+) models.

  17. #17Equipment King2010-09-25 20:52

    The + is still around but with the ability to fully option/de-option the machine. The new + is the 580SN Wide Track (WT) These machines really can do what an excavator can do with regards to lifting, setting, and repositioning things you would not expect a backhoe to do or that competitive machines can drop in the hole but not lift out. Give one a try when available later this year and see what you think in your own applications. You might be surprised and wonder why the excavator style boom is popular, when this is clearly superior in real world applications. The four models going forward are 580N, 580SN, 580SN WT, 590SN. All are available with manual controls (Case pattern or two stick) or in hydraulic pilot controls (with switchable pattern.) Watch the Case website, casenseries.com for updates.

  18. #18Runfaster2010-09-25 22:02

    The plus models do not exist anymore. You can option a 590SN to be comparable to a 590SM series 3, but you cannot do the same for the 580SN and 580SM series 3. Specifically limited slip is not a feature on the N series. However, if someone wants it really bad I am sure Special Features could add it to a unit.

  19. #19amunderdog2010-09-26 01:59

    That is one thing i love about Case Backhoe's last time i went to the dealers and looked at the lot, all three were there to try out and buy. Pilot control - wobble sticks - Stick and foot swing. My 2 cents The stick and Foot swing is still king. Better feel for what you are doing - better control - fast My old boss/owner had bad legs. He would have case put a fourth stick on for swing. The foot paddles still worked. the extra stick did not bother me and i did not use it. Questions: Wish we could get the side shift boom they have over in europe. Or can we? Are they still going with that ride control deal?

  20. #20Runfaster2010-09-26 13:12

    Side shift booms are not available in the US still. Ride control still should be offered. I did not even think of looking for it because it is such a simple option and I never heard any discussion about getting rid of it.

  21. #21gggraham2010-09-26 16:21

    580sm and prior backhoe buckets do not fit on the new N series backhoe. The N have a much larger pin diameter, I hope this isn't true. It was bad enough when the new coupler on the M wouldn't take some of the 580sl and sk buckets.

  22. #22Runfaster2010-09-26 16:33

    That is true. However you can order the machine with a sleeve kit or buy the sleeve from a dealer parts department. Then old buckets work with N machines but not vice versa. A hint for dealers is that it is cheaper to get the sleeve kit on the machine order because they set the price book on the machines before they determined the actual price in parts. (CNH parts and wholegoods are separate). So the wholegoods price is cheaper by mistake.

  23. #23Equipment King2010-09-27 14:38

    Limited Slip Limited Slip is still available on the WT and should be a special feature on the 590SN.

  24. #24Equipment King2010-09-27 14:40

    I often wonder with the side shift boom is not available in the US, and also why the Center Mount backhoe is not available in Europe. N Series does not change this. Ride control is of course an option and is not standard on any machine but is available. Case invented Ride Control for Backhoe/Loaders. Why would they get rid of such a great feature?

  25. #25d4c24a2010-09-27 15:05

    sideshift centre mount would be of little use in the UK due to lack of room this is a typical job and shows what little room we have on some of our roads sorry for the poor quality they were on a phone cheers graham

  26. #26Runfaster2010-09-27 15:44

    I am sorry that is my fault. I missed that when I looked at my materials. The preliminary spec sheet and price book show the larger tires, but I did not see the feature named except in the feature matrix.

  27. #27JS580SL2010-09-27 23:37

    YouTube - Case N Series backhoe

  28. #28TheCASEguy2010-10-05 11:37

    I'm going to a "N" series training class this week. I will let you all know the + and - of this new design when I get back.

  29. #29TheCASEguy2010-10-05 11:54

    Its true the "N" buckets will not fit the "M" "L" and so on models. The is an adapter kit that will be avaliable for the Hyd. coupler and manual quick coupler. I have seen these in production and you can't tell there is a difference by visually looking at it. There is a reason for this change. The HP and breakout force have significantly changed. Therefore a more beefy pin is needed. This bigger pin requires a bigger bushing and so on. If you have a big fleet and an adapter kit is not feesable, then my suggestion would be to get a bushing custom made with the ID changed to fit the smaller pin. This would be alot cheaper.