I have a 2000 JCB 212S 4x4x4 It has run flawlessly for years with only routine service. About a year ago it began to shut off during use. Most often it shut off as if you turned off the key. Sometimes it would lose power as if it ran out of fuel too, but more frequently it just turned off. It would restart sometimes, but not always unless it sat. I checked power to the fuel shut off solenoid on the injection pump immediately after shut down and the power was good. Based upon this I ordered a new fuel shut off valve and the filter screen below it. I installed it with high expectations but alas, it began doing the same irritating behavior! OK, the unit has power, the valve is good, that means maybe the ground wire is compromised. I ran an additional ground wire from the shut off valve harness to the engine block. Nope, same behavior. About a year ago I put a new fuel pump on the unit thinking that maybe the pump was shot? It ran good for an hour or two but began shutting off on me once again. I replaced the fuel filter, I cleaned the water separator, I drained the fuel tank. The water separator is chronically dirty, even after draining the tank. We replaced the fuel lines feeding the injection pump thinking that maybe they were old and collapsing internally blocking the flow of fuel.... nope, same behavior. I then was informed that the new updated fuel pump has a large nut (1 1/16" ) where the fuel feed line attaches. If you remove that nut, there is a plastic cone shaped fuel screen in there. EUREKA!!! That screen was hopelessly clogged! Sadly the machine ran great for a only a few hours then began to act up again. I removed the filter from the pump once again (an annoyingly messy and surprisingly difficult task) and it was once again clogged! I cleaned it and then I installed a clear plastic in line fuel filter AFTER the water separator but before the fuel pump. That new filter is frighteningly dirty but the machine has now run flawlessly for a week!!! I keep a spare in line filter at the ready so if the machine stalls, it is only a matter of minutes before I'm going again! Just thought I'd share what I found on my machine. I can't be the only one with a chronic fuel tank fine particle problem that is stopping them dead in their tracks! Dave
Thanks Dave, it's great to get posts that include the problem and the fix!
Does it not have a sediment bowl on right side of engine? I had a 01-02.
It does have a sediment bowl but that is designed to separate water from fuel, not act as fuel filter. Sadly with my rust issues in the fuel tank the fuel separator is full of rust as well. The heavy rust settles on the bottom and the finer particles remain suspended in the moving fuel and continue on to the fuel pump. This is why I put an inline fuel filter after the sediment bowl, to catch that fine rust before it clogs up the fuel pump screen. if you see rust in your water separator bowl, you'd do well to install an in line fuel filter before you experience running problems. Dave
I had to clean mine out about twice a year as it would stall. It had a fine mesh screen in it. I also drained the tank but that didn't seem to help much. I thought a sediment bowl was for sediment not water?
I suppose it is both. To quote the JCB Service Manual Section 3 Page 11-1 "Drain off any water in bowl L by turning tap J" obviously there is a drawing and L is the clear plastic bowl, J is the bottom drain wingnut on the bowl. I am actually surprised that there isn't a fuel filter before the pump, but I guess when the machines were new there wasn't much of an issue with rusting tanks.
oops