Hi I have purchased a used JCB 214 and used it for first few months with no real trouble. Lately I have been having trouble with the hoe. It has the switch and button by the dash. To activate the hoe you toggle switch down and push button. Hoe engages. Well lately the hoe will just stop working. But here is the kicker. After a period of time passes the hoe will start working again. You press the button and all of the sudden if works. We have replaced the toggle switch thinking that could be the issue. All oil levels and hydraulic fluid is good. Not sure if there would be a sensor for temperature or pressure that could be causing this? Any help is appreciated
Just a guess, but it sounds like the coil that operates your backhoe pilot controls. The switch is usually connected to a electric/hydraulic valve that engages or disengages your backhoe pilot controls. I don't see many JCB's but this is the most common thing I see on others. It could be chaffed wiring or a bad connection somewhere. Usually if the coil is failing or failed, it will blow the circuit fuse in the panel.
Ok thanks I will look into that. Would the coil issue allow the backhoe to work sometimes and not others? By blowing the circuit fuse I would have to replace or reset no? I honestly don’t touch anything sometimes and then it works again.
This machine being intermittent is going to make finding the actual problem difficult. Im not sure whether you have an electrical problem or hydraulic problem at this moment. I don't believe the coil has any effect on the front loader hydraulics that I know of, most I have seen in other branded machines don't. Im also not sure whether your machine is equipped with fuses or circuit breakers, or a combination of both. If it was blowing a fuse, then the system wouldn't work until it was replaced. Some circuit breakers, depending on design, will cut off power when they get hot from amperage, then reset themselves when they cool down. Sometimes the coil itself will start to ground out and get hot, losing its magnetic ability to hold the spool open. I wish I knew more about JCB's but there just are not a lot of those around here. I would make yourself aware of things around the machine when this happens next. For example, 1. When it stops, do you hear anything when you try to work the non functioning hydraulics? Like engine speed change, a rushing of fluid sound? 2. Do the other hydraulic functions work normally when this happens? If not......how are they different? Slower, jerky? Check those and see if you notice anything.