Good afternoon gentlemen, I have a 2002 JCB 214e with Perkins AR series motor (4.236). Back in October shortly after changing oil, filter etc per normal maintenance, the unit threw a rod through the block and I recently purchased a new block and did a full rebuild with many of the old parts from the blown engine. While setting the valve lash, we fired the engine up and noticed there was no oil flow through the rocker assembly at all. Put my oil pressure gauge on and she is only reading about 5-7 PSI. I dropped the oil pan and inspected the oil pump but everything looks fairly normal, no obvious signs that it has failed but i dont know much about what they look like when they fail aside from pieces being everywhere in the oil pan. Anyone experience an issue like this? Wondering if maybe whatever we are experiencing now is what led to the failure of the other engine.
Did you reuse the old oil pump?
Yes sir I did...not a very smart move considering how hard it is to get it out and it's relatively inexpensive to buy new
Aside from the obvious...extremely low pressure...are there any other ways to tell if it is the pump or not...having to take the timing case off to get the pump out is not much fun!
A few photos..that cog does look fairly worn but again I haven't ever torn into a Perkins pump or any other for that matter
Not sure about a Perkins, but most engines feed the rockers through the cam bearings. If they're not installed right they will not oil!
No oil even getting that far, no pressure at the filter even
Wow. That's a bummer.
The oil pump is cheap, the problem is getting it on and off on those perkins engines you need to pull the entire timing case off
I think I would also blow air through the oil passages while you have the pump off! It would be nice to know the oiling schematic. I have all the manuals for an earlier one, but don't remember seeing anything like that.
I have an old 1972 massey with the same engine and that is easy, these newer 1000 series engines are not so easy despite literally being the same size engine. I have the shop manual and have the flow diagram
Good. You'll figure it out.
Just have never seen an oil pump fail and what to look for...I think of things failing and they blow apart etc. Don't want to go through all the trouble if the pump isn't it but seems that is the case. Could be what led to the engine throwing a rod last year
I used to pop the cover off a new oil pump, and fill it with petroleum jelly. The pressure would come up faster especially in a dry engine. The hot oil would disolve the jelly. I suppose you have already ran it though so it wouldn't be dry.
Yeah it's been run for a few min here and there and when I had the plug out of the port for test gauge we had flow, just no pressure
We had a guy burn up a fresh reman Perkins. Not the same model as yours but what happened in our case was there was an option to mount the oil filter housing on either side of the engine block. There apparently is something that needs to be plugged off if you switch the filter to the opposite side. He neglected to do that when he swapped the filter housing to the other side of the block, resulting in no oil flow. Not even through the filter. It was bone dry after 5 minutes of running. Don't know if any of this applies to your engine or not but I figured I'd pass it along.
Is that all that's in the pump? There's an outer piece that rotates as the center piece you show turns. Where is it? Assuming you have that outer ring I'd look at the relief valve. It's also in the pump, if it has a piece of crap in hanging it open you will have no pressure. Joe H
Joe, that photo does not show the rotor ring, nothing hanging up on relief valve that I can see and no obstructions in the pick up tube
Not knowing the oil pressure other than having a dummy light, I am wondering if this low pressure issue is what caused the engine to blow last fall. As far as the filter housing, it's on the same side it has always been but I believe you are cortext the filter could be installed on the oppositems side of the block, there are plugs and bolt holes if you wanted to move the filter...my engine had a zero start block heater accessory installed on that side and the bracket for it used those bolt holes
Alright I think I figured things out...after flipping my blown block over and looking at all the plugs etc....I noticed the plugs for the piston cooling jets for cylinders 2,3,4 (for whatever reason only the number 1 cylinder has a piston cooler on this Perkins)....well they are missing on my rebuilt engine and those holes are very big and I am gonna say that's where my oil pressure loss is!! Will put the plugs in, button her up and test pressure later this week and let you all know what happens.