Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 214s (1994) water in transmission.

Gregg K ยท 2010-03-19 21:36

I've got whipped cream for transmission fluid. The parts book and the service book both do not show anything cooling related in the transmission. I know the water is getting in somewhere. And one dealership said it's a line inside the tranny that will require removal of the transmission in order to fix. I just want to hear from anyone here that may have had this problem. I've rebuilt transmissions, and worked on tractors before. But this one has me a bit baffled. I haven't done all of my inspections yet. But the bottom line is how the water is getting in. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am already thinking Bars Leak. But I should know better.

Replies3
  1. #1oldseabee2010-03-19 22:34

    Does that machine have a transmission oil cooler in the bottom tank of the radiator? Most power shifts do. The other possibility is a cooler in the trans sump, it would have to have coolant lines to and from the transmision to work.

  2. #2Gregg K2010-03-19 22:47

    There's an oil cooler radiator in front of the radiator. It's only transmission oil in it. Then there are two lines that come off a radiator hose. One goes to the tranny, and one goes to the hydraulic tank, and then it splits off, or something, and must come back to the tranny also.

  3. #3Gregg K2010-03-19 23:55

    I found it. There's a tube in front of the radiator that is more than just a tube. It's a heat exchanger. I pulled it, and it doesn't hold pressure. So that's where my fluid and water were mixing. Thanks for the reply!