Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IH 3500a

captaincoot ยท 2010-03-20 17:17

I have a IH 3500a backhoe It won't go forward or reverse. I'm thinking it's the F&R clutch. You think this is right or should I be looking at something else? Everything else works fine. Would any one know were to get one? Your help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1toddol19712010-03-22 13:28

    sometimes going the mechanic route will be best

  2. #2captaincoot2010-03-22 16:54

    You can drive it all day in reverse. Some reason I forgot that must be getting old. It has a high,low 1-4 levers and a forward, reverse on the dash.

  3. #3Phil2010-03-24 21:01

    I think I would pull the deck plates up, and after verifying that the linkage is doing what it's suppose to do, see if you can locate the clutch pack pressure test ports. I found some info on shuttle problems with these machines while searching for a service manual once. Can't find it now but I thought it was on Yesterdays Tractors forum. Simple fixes as I recall with leaking steel lines going from the valve body to the clutch packs, all visible once that big cover is taken off. It's all pretty vague now, just trying to give you hope. I suspect, if you could find the pressure test ports for the 2 clutch packs, that it would tell you if forward was getting good pressure or not, compared with reverse. Phil

  4. #4Charvel2010-04-10 14:57

    I also have a 3500A backhoe. It has no movement forward or reverse most of the time. Sometimes after sitting for a long time it works fine, both directions and does not slip. It is a hydrostatitic drive with the 2 flat pedals on the left side of the floor. Charge pump pressure is good, servo pressure is ok, pump servo moves when pedal is depressed. Pump servo can be seen by taking a small plate off at front of trans. With 10000 psi gage on high pressure line, gage shows nothing. With 600 psi gage, it shows charge pump pressure, about 210 psi. When observing the pump servo through plate, there seemed to be a lot of oil splashing around and the trans was filling to the point that I had to shut it off, or it was going to overflow. The thing that gets me is that it works 100% when it works and as long as you leave it running, it will work all day long. Shut it off, and you tow it home. Anyone with any info on this or perhaps a manual with hydro diagnostics would very much be appreciated. Thanks.

  5. #5OneWelder2010-04-13 14:08

    try the Red power site http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php? Int. had Hydro-Shuttle which was a forward and reverse pedal on left side - basically a hydraulic clutch pack one side forward one side reverser . This was in front of manual trans with high - low range The Hydro or Hydrostatic trans was complete trans . - more troublesome and expensive. the hydro had hi-lo you set engine speed with hand throttle ,regulated travel speed with foot pedal. Shuttle did it all from pedal The reason I went into all this is I would have thought the 3500a had the hydrostatic trans , same as the 3600a Captain Coot described the shuttle style If Charvel has the same trans i would look at the directional control valve - IF Pressures are staying up when it does not work Captain if you are saying reverse works but forward does not - there should be a clutch pressure gage on dash - - when you step on pedal reassure should go down and back up- If reverse is working watch it and forward should be about the same If not, you are dumping pressure Check for mis adjustment , leaks - but may end up being orings in clutch pack

  6. #6OneWelder2010-04-13 14:12

    I should add that i have not worked on one of these trans in about forty years I think most who are familiar with them are retired by now

  7. #7Charvel2010-04-13 20:21

    Thanks to everyone trying to help. Mine is hydrostatic not hydro shuttle. Throttle up by hand, pedals control direction. Works awesome when it decides to work, lately though, it won't move either direction most of the time. I'm waiting for a manual I ordered, hopefully it will have the diagnostic info I need. Whatever is causing the problem is common to both directions, so that narrows it down a lot. A hydraulic schematic would certainly help. I can watch the servo move the swash plate with the cover off so I know there is enough servo pressure there, about 360 lbs when I checked. The fact that it works so well when it works makes it hard for me to believe the hydrostatic pump is the problem, so that leaves a couple check valves and some relief valves. I isolated the foot-n-inch valve from the system with no change. Anyways that's where it stands for now. If anyone happens to have a hydraulic schematic for this unit, I could certainly use it, would be most grateful! Once again thanks to all! Kim

  8. #8OneWelder2010-04-13 20:40

    I believe i still have one for a 3600A -it should same or very close to the same - it will take me a few days to dig out, as I have had bad cold or flu have not been going to shop

  9. #9Charvel2010-04-13 21:01

    That would be great if you did! It's been raining and cold here last few days, so i'm not going to be working on it for a couple days anyways, so no problem! Hope you feel better soon. Thanks. Kim

  10. #10maytag2010-04-13 21:19

    Both forward and reverse check valves or high pressure relief valves would have to be faulty to cause no travel in both directions-kind of unlikely both would fail. You should have a hot oil shuttle and a shuttle relief (these will be located in a manifold block on the motor)that are common to both directions-if you can provide an email address I may have some other info for you. Maytag

  11. #11Charvel2010-04-14 01:10

    [email protected] Any info you have would be great. Thanks. Kim

  12. #12OneWelder2010-04-18 15:22

    Captain - you appear to have the older style I described - If the pedal return spring breaks on that style it will act as you described . on early style the pedal only drops about a 1/4 " so you have to look closely. or hold pedal that works up as you push side that does not down

  13. #13obb2013-07-24 18:43

    Check out glada & grove supply co glade fl ask for pipo at (1 561 996 3095) I hope this helps ....obb