I've tried the search function to zero in on other JCB 215 loader backhoe discussions without much luck, so please don't shoot me for starting a new thread for everything JCB 215 Loader Backhoe related. Hope everyone had a great Christmas, or as good as it can get during this COVID year. OK, let's start... I just purchased a 2004 JCB 215 loader backhoe with extend-a-hoe, or "Extra-Dig" as they call it. I also purchased what I think are the proper Operator's Manual and Service Manual for this unit. Hoping the JCB folks can help me understand some JCB nomenclature. Centremount vs. Sidemount: Does this signify the location of the gear selector and forward/reverse shifter? Centermount = on steering column, Sideshift = floor mounted to the right of operator's seat Precision Control (Servo): I think this many be where the joystick controls are mounted to the armrests on the operator’s seat? 215 vs. 215 E vs. 215 S - Not sure what the “E” or “S” signify and what sets them apart Attached is a photo of the nameplate on my unit. Thanks for your help Thanks Rich
Guessing that on a JCB, centermount and sidemount could refer to either the outriggers/stabilizers, or the backhoe mount itself being fixed or moveable side to side, IF those are used in the context of the backhoe.
Thanks Delmer. Just confirmed the Centremount vs. Sideshift configurations... Centermount - the backhoe kingpost is centrally mounted to a fixed point (like we typically see) Sideshift - the backhoe is mounted on rails that allows the whole backhoe assembly to be shifted to the left or right side of the machine. Really handy for digging a trench along side of something, say a structure/foundation.
So how's she run?
OK, but really haven't had a chance to work her yet. The other day she started right up, yesterday not so much, but it was much colder. Going to take it slow, educate myself on both the Operators Manual and Service Manual and go through her. I'm sure there's going to be some good stories and asks for help/guidance on this forum! She needs a new battery, or at least a charge. She's got good bones, but already know I'll be needing to do some odds and ends. First thing on the list, add trans fluid (I will only use JCB fluid), and second, is to free up and lubricate the rear throttle cable, I think its frozen.
So been spending my waking hours reading several varying Operator's Manuals and the Service Manuals, and I say various because none seem to be specific to my machine, so I find bits and pieces from a couple of different versions. Lots of stuff to work on... Delphi fuel cut off solenoid. Went to shut her off and she kept on running. Anyone have helpful hints on what to use to pull the solenoid? It's sandwiched between the fuel line, the body of the pump, the throttle mounting cable bracket, fuel rails running above it. Trying to find a deep socket that has open bore to fit over electrical connector, or maybe a ground down crows foot? (Image below is not my unit, photo off internet, much tougher to get to than it looks in this photo) Thanks
Deep socket or open end wrench? Maybe even pliers. It shouldn't be on too tight.
Does your hoe have the side shift?
Thanks skata Hooked my machine is a Centremount (spelled like the Brits spell it!) Sideshift seems like it would be handy, but what a mechanical nightmare!
Located a 24 mm socket that just slipped over the solenoid while pushing the fuel line runners out of the way. Gotta love the engineers.
Hi All, So my Perkins 1104C-44T won't turn off. It has a Delphi 210 injection pump (why its called a 210 is beyond me, since it says 1398 under "type") I replaced the fuel cutoff solenoid. When I turn off the key, it goes into a very low idle. I then have to manually push on the throttle linkage to get it to stop. I read in another forum that it could be the "latch valve" which is the large black deep hex bolt just above where the "Delphi" is casted into the pump body (see picture in previous post). Do you think it's the latch valve? What does the latch valve actually do? Is this something I can replace myself, or is this something that needs to be done by a shop with specialty tools that rebuilds injection pumps? Is it as simple as backing out the old one and screwing in a new one? From the pictures, it looks like they just unscrew from the body of the pump. Thank you!
Question about pin / pivot bearings / bushings...Please see attached photo. This bushing goes in the very last hole on the dipper. Note arrows. There is a very slight reveal on the left, and a small deeper groove on the right. What are they for? How should I orient it within the bore? Which side goes towards the middle of the bore and which side goes towards the outside of the bore? (Note: This pin/bushing does not have grease seals on it) Thanks!
I'd put the tapered end in first, easier to get started that way. I bet that's all it is.
Information for steering proximity sensor sensors.. JCB 215s 1994 proximity sensor install or removal First the sensor hook up plug and socket are mounted close to the frame. The sensor plug is mounted to the frame. This makes it impossible to unplug the sensor as the part you try to pull on is actually mounted to the frame on a welded on bracket.. There is a small pry plastic in the wire hook up. Or rear of the sensor plug. With a small flat screw driver you can lift small plastic pry piece towards the wires and then slide the sensor plug back off the mount bracket. (toward the wires of plug) Then you can separate the socket plug by pressing the grey lever and pull the socket and plug apart. You can remove the chassis side of this clever method of hiding a simple job by pulling off the socket side of the sensor connection when you depress the grey lever but you will still have the sensor connected to the frame bracket. This cost me a couple of days under my backhoe and one damaged plug. JGBaldwin
Welcome to HEF, JG !
So my ‘04 JCB TLB was given the appropriate name by one of my buddies…wait for it…MONEYPENNY!!! This is what I’ve done so far: Line bore and weld pivot on dipper New 18” bucket New roof, wiring harness, and all lights New backhoe control knobs New motor mounts New belts New latch valve New brakes New vacuum boosters and master cylinders Welded cracks on rim lug holes Rerouted hydraulic piping underside and remounted diverter valve that was just flopping around New engine side panels (both sides) Touched up some rusted spots New hub seal and bearings (photo below) Of course regular maintenance stuff too Sure there’s other stuff I’m forgetting But she does good work, surprised by her power for her size Glad she is pre DEF, servo controls, and other emissions and gadgetry