Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb 215 Main Boom Cylinder Repack Advice

Mike-JCB · 2021-06-07 07:47

Hey guys, I was pulling up some stumps this weekend and the seal on my backhoes main boom split and started spraying fluid all over the cab. I’ve been reading the manuals and looking online about how best to change the seals and repack and was hoping I wouldn’t have to take out the entire cylinder, but I’m not sure I’ll have enough room to extend and remove just the rod. The manual says to remove the entire cylinder, which I can do with a tractor loader, my fear is if I’ll be able to reinstall it into the enclosed boom and being able to line up the top pin. Uploaded some pictures for reference. Any advice?

Replies12
  1. #1Vetech632021-06-07 07:58

    Your going to have to remove that cylinder for a reseal. There isn't enough room between the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the boom frame to allow enough height for the rod to be pulled over the swing tower. It wont be easy going back in unless you get creative. One thing you can do going back in with the cylinder is cut and lay a 2x4 just under where the cylinder currently is. You can then slide the cylinder down the 2x4 back into the boom. It wont be exact, but it gets you close enough to use a prybar to position the barrel eye for the pin.

  2. #2Swetz2021-06-07 10:11

    Mike-JCB, Just a thought, use the backhoe to dig a trench, put the bucket in the trench, so that the cylinder is very near the end of its stroke. By doing this you may just clear the swing post...I have never done this on a machine like yours, but to me it looks plausible.

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-06-07 11:15

    How difficult is it to disconnect the hoses from the cylinder ? It appears to me you will need to remove the rod eye pin and retract the rod after ↓ you dig a hole deep enough for the bucket, so that the cylinder is slightly inclined back to front. That will help sliding the cylinder back into the boom. Or use the stabilizers to raise the tractor so that the cylinder is at least level with the boom.

  4. #4Mike-JCB2021-06-07 18:59

    Unfortunately the hoses are pretty far up in there and I can’t reach as is. I think I’m going to have to first remove the top pin, compress the cylinder, disconnect the hoses, remove the bottom pin, then lift out with a loader. I saw a video online about digging a hole/ trench to put the loader in but I don’t know that my seal will last long enough to dig the hole and I’m not digging by hand. I’ll take my chances on the reinstall. I like the 2x4 idea. I was thinking I could mark the casing with a sharpie and after inserting into the boom then reinstalling the bottom pin I’d at least be close. I’ve never removed a pin on these cylinders, is it a real PITA to get them out? Or you just need a BFH? Thanks for the thoughts as usual!

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-06-07 20:02

    Perhaps the hoses are left on the cylinder and the other end is what is disconnected to remove it. Loosen or remove the hoses and the pins should come out easy if there is no pressure on them. I have never seen a gland leak as badly as you describe. Has the gland become unscrewed by any chance ?

  6. #6Mike-JCB2021-06-08 19:35

    So I borrowed a big pipe wrench from a friend to see if I could bust that ram nut and sure enough Tinkerer, it wasn’t all that tight. I mean it was a 4 ft wrench but I didn’t have to put all my weight on it to break it free. I guess regardless, given that the seal from the picture has busted outside of the gland, I need to replace all the seals right? It’s not as easy as just tightening that ram nut?

  7. #7Vetech632021-06-08 19:40

    Nothing is that easy.

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-06-08 20:32

    Repairing hydraulic cylinders is like picking your nose. Ya gota go at it until nothing is left to do. So, yes, do it right, new piston seals and everything in and around the gland.

  9. #9stinky642021-06-08 21:04

    LMAO

  10. #10Mike-JCB2021-06-08 21:05

    Luckily I’m a great nose picker. Where do you guys recommend I buy seal kits? I found some based on my serial number at hwpartstore.com? eBay?

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-06-08 21:50

    Call Dale Wiess. He is honest and has good prices. http://e-backhoeparts.com/

  12. #12csthompson122025-05-03 15:25

    Just wondering if Mike Jcb got this cylinder sealed… I was about to do mine which is the same. It looks like I can do it without removing the cylinder, which as mentioned looks like a PITA. I put the boom down over a bank drop off and I think I’ll be able to get the rod out. I’ll take some pics.