my (i believe 1990) jcb 215s has been stuck in crab walk for a while now and the steering completely messed up. first thing i did was change the selector switch up by the dashboard, nothing. Next, i looked at the position switches under the wheels, a little dirty and were above the metal bar by over a quarter inch. I lowered them down to about dimes distance away. Still nothing. Next, I took a look at the steering solenoids and pull them off. The coils measured resistance of 4.6ohms across all four so i know the coils are good unless they are supposed to be something else. The actual solenoid rod( whatever you call it) had some corrosion on it so I cleaned if off with steel wool and made it look good again. I was told to use steel wool and then just regular grease and they will be fine. I put it back together and nothing. The front steering works fine and after bleeding the back steering cylinders for a little the back tires want to go into crab walk again but not really. sometimes they move sometimes they dont. Side notes. -All three lights on the dash board for each steering mode is on. -There is no light on the position switches underneath to let me know if they are working. Idk if they have lights on them on this old model -When i unclip the selector switch im not getting any voltage across any lead. I tried every combination. -When i unclip the solenoids the corresponding light on the dashboard goes off for each steering mode.
Make sure the blue part of the prox sensor has not been damaged and when in range of steel the light on the side should light up. Also there is a black box which controls these under the dash at the front. Also have you checked all the fuses are good , also from memory there was a diode in the circuit as well.
Ok. Well I haven’t seen a light on either sensor. Even in the old models there should be a light? Also is there a good aftermarket place to buy these?
Ide first check fuse a2 and c2. Then you should see voltage at the selector switch when one or both the magnetic discs are underneath the magnetic sensors. if there isn't any voltage between the selector switch and a ground when the discs are under the magnetic sensors then either the magnetic sensors aren't closing the circuit or there is an open circuit. You could test by bypassing both the sensors by connecting the two pins. This will let you switch the steering modes if there isn't an open but they will be out of phase. And I've seen them switches on ebay # 173616219968.
Welcome to HEF, Filter Twister !
Sunbeam 1990 I got it wrong there aren't discs on your backhoe. There are holes but the principle is the same. Looking closer at the pictures there are those holes in the track bar underneath the magnetic sensors that close the circuit. The circuit will be open until the wheels turn and the hole moves under the sensor then the sensor will close the circuit giving the machine the okay to switch modes. If you take those off they should be closed when there isn't metal underneath them and they should be open with metal close under them. Easy test. While you have them off you can check the connector that goes to them there should be battery v+ to ground at one of the pins. Thanks tinkerer!
Did you solve it and how ?
Hello Sunbeam just wondering if u got the rear steering working? I have a 1997 215 series 3 and I put my fwd mode and the rear wheels won’t turn , so it won’t come out of fwd and my 4 wheel steering won’t work . I’ve looked at your thread and have some thoughts on what to check any ideas???