Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 215S3 7000 hr Complete rebush

watglen ยท 2013-06-21 08:32

I am looking at tightening up my JCB. It has 7000 hrs, and the rest of the machine is pretty good functionally. A little tlc would go a long way. I have the parts lists for the loader and backhoe. I was wondering if just new bushings will be sufficient, or should I plan on ordering new pins throughout as well? Or do i need to go all the way and have the parent material rebored too? What to do what to do....

Replies13
  1. #1lumberjack2013-06-21 08:45

    The parent metal should be ok if the bushings are still intact. You could pull a pin and measure wear, although with that many hours I'd bet it's safe to say there is pin wear.

  2. #2Deon2013-06-21 20:20

    The bushing will last longer if you replace the pin to. In the long run, your cost will be close to the same and your machine will be tighter for a longer amount of time.

  3. #3watglen2013-06-24 18:16

    I got the parts list back, new pins and bushings throughout backhoe and loader is over $10k. This is going to take some thought.

  4. #4Construct'O2013-06-24 19:27

    Depending on which end you use the most is the one i would start with first.If it is the backhoe i would do them first then wait on the loader end.Also might check which bushing and pins are worn the most and just do them .Usually on the bachoe the bucket pins and bushes goes first. Backhoe with 7000 hours i wouldn't be doing a complete pins and bushing job.I would do what will work for short term.A trade for a used low hour machine would be in the future.10K of pins and bushing aren't going to make you machine worth 10K more if you decide to update. It's always going to be a hard decision on what to replace and when to cut you loses and update.Been an isssue here for 38 years.Good luck

  5. #5watglen2013-06-24 21:22

    I will likely ask my local machine shop to quote me some pins too. They have lots of experience with heat treated pins etc. Should be no prob, worth asking. I may just do the pins on the buckets and swing gear. Ken

  6. #6bowen2013-06-25 05:39

    I have not bought from either of these but you might check with them after you identify what you need. http://www.joseph.com/Default.asp and http://www.ebushing.com/

  7. #7Deon2013-06-25 06:13

    Also Broken Tractor or Conequip Parts should have pins and bushings at a fraction of the cost of OEM.

  8. #8HardmanGT2013-06-25 21:38

    good to know about aftermarket suppliers! The dealer is just way too expensive

  9. #9watglen2013-07-04 22:03

    Update I pulled the pins out of the backhoe bucket and linkage. I found the main bucket pin bushing cracked but otherwise intact (just one of the two bushings was cracked) I found several of the bushings would spin by hand in the parent bore. Not loose and sloppy, just loose enough to spin with my fingers. There was lots of grease everywhere, definitely not dry. The pin ODs were worn very little. Across several pins the wear surface was out of round my not more than .010" That would be with a vernier caliper, measuring at two spots in the bushing contact area, at 90 degrees to each other, to get a sense of the amount of ovaling wear the pins are getting. I don't think ten thou is very much at all. Thoughts? The bushing IDs were another story, with lots of out of round. Inserting the pins into the bushings showed lots of slop. I am wondering if you guys would replace all those pins, or keep them. They are half the cost of the project, at least. Maybe more. Also, what do you think of the bushings spinning with my fingers. It proves to me the parent bores are still round. Thoughts? Ken

  10. #10mikebramel2013-07-04 22:17

    IF the pins are only .010 out they are fine to re use but what is the pin to bushing clearance

  11. #11Deon2013-07-04 22:29

    I don't think the bushing should be loose in the bores. The bores will get bigger in time. That's probably why one is cracked. New bushings should need to be pressed into the bore. If they fit loose I would install with JB Weld and let cure overnight before using.

  12. #12Delmer2013-07-04 22:48

    What is the total wear on the pins? Is there an unworn section to measure against? The loose bushings seems funny to me too, hopefully the new ones go in just tight enough?

  13. #13watglen2013-07-04 23:01

    Yeah, there is pin area not worn. The ends of the pins are as new. So are some center areas located between bushings.