Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 217 1996 Model Not starting unless solenoid is jumped.

Terexdude ยท 2024-05-10 15:43

Hello, I have a 1996 JCB Backhoe i have been struggling with for a week. When you turn the key the machine does not turn over it only starts if I jump solenoid wire (842) going to the starter. I have replaced the Drive/Neutral/Reverse stalk and it does work fine. I'm not sure what else i can look at, I'm not very experienced with these machines. To reiterate the ignition switch is not turning the machine on, i have to manually jump the solenoid. Starter is new, Shift stalk is new, Ignition is new.

Replies4
  1. #1Terexdude2024-05-10 23:06

    I have a picture of the wiring diagram but I don't really understand what I'm looking at. I'm not sure how to read this. Can someone break this down for me a bit? To get the machine to start I'm energizing wire 842 with 12v. Wire 842 is in-between starter solenoid and ignition switch on a relay.

  2. #2Terexdude2024-05-11 00:44

    So if I'm reading this correctly it looks like the Neutral Start Relay (110) is energized by the Forward/ Rev Switch (62) which seems to be also tied into the Park brake relay (115). Does this mean the machine would not start unless the Park brake is engaged and the Forward/ Rev switch is in neutral? If so how would I test this? I have the machine in Neutral and I also have the Park brake engaged. Maybe I should test both relays.

  3. #3Terexdude2024-05-11 00:49

    Not sure if this helps but I used my relay jumper on the Neutral Start Relay and I'm getting ground on pins 86 and pins 85. When I turn the key Into the start position I get 12v at pin 30. To Jumpstart the machine I apply 12V to pin 87.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2024-05-11 07:53

    Is it a safety switch problem or do you just need to fix your starter solenoid?