Since i have bought my case 580b i no longer want this JCB backhoe that has been sitting in my driveway for years with no engine in it. I have the engine. Bought the machine with a broken crankshaft. Paid 3500 for it. I pulled the motor and tore it down with the intention of rebuilding it. Got a hold of a remanufactured crankshaft and bottom end bearings. That cost me a thousand bucks. And i haven't done anything else with it. :Banghead I am not sure how much i can get out of it. You guys think its worth 3500?
pictures would be helpfull! what is the over all condtion?
The machine is in pretty good shape i think. I never saw it run, so i don't know if it may have other problems. The guys i bought it from said that they were using it when the crankshaft broke. When they dropped the oil pan and removed the crankshaft, they discovered that the no. 4 main bearing had spun. They got a crankshaft from a wrecking yard and put it in with some shims on that spun bearing. They never pulled the motor. Needless to say, the crankshaft broke again. And that is why i bought it for 3500. I figured if i could rebuild the motor i would have a good backhoe. I am diesel illiterate. I have worked on plenty of gasoline engines. Never diesels. And i have been scared to death of not getting done right. I also found out how hard it is not only to find parts, but to get them as well. And that has been my biggest hang up. I discourage very easily. I could have got a new perkins engine for 5000. I thought i could rebuild this engine cheaper. I think the cost is going to be maybe a little less. But not by much. As for pictures, I will get with my wife and figure out how to do it.
Hmmm .. this story scares me .. I am about to buy a JCB 214 sitemaster for $5,000, but it has 9,000+ hours on it. I have a small farm, and having a decent loader/backhoe would come in real handy some days. The JCB 214 owner claims hydraulics and engine are ok ... but for how long? It won't shift into reverse, so maybe transmission needs some TLC already. I don't have the tools or knowledge to rebuild the engine or transmission myself, but I can't afford a newer one for 3x or 4x the price. Any advice for a n00b?
just my .02, if you don't have tools and knowledge, stay away from something that you know needs work on it. It gets real expensive real quick if you have to take it to a dealer. when looking at used equipment, a competent mechanic to look it it over thoroughly is invaluable you sound like a lot, me included, just a weekend warrior, not a big construction company with bigger pockets
I purchased a 3CIII last fall, runs good, had a few minor electrical issues. I paid 4500. Don't think yours would bring 3500 not running in my area. Rick
Yeah Rick, a good running backhoe like that could sell for around $6000 in my area. Give or take. But i think your right about trying to get $3500 out of it. I would probably have to come down to $2000. Either that or build the engine and get it running and sell it. I just don't want to put any more money into it. Know what i mean? Joe
Hate to say this but check what you can get for it as scrap. That in my area would bring about 250 a ton. I was told that they are about 16000 pounds. That would be your 2K right there and no hassle. Rick
Yeah i thought about scraping it. I just hate to waste an otherwise good machine. Know what i mean? A guy i know and have not seen or heard from in a long time stopped by yesterday and asked about it. Told him i am thinking about selling it. Wants to meet me for coffee to talk about it. When he calls and we meet i will find out what he has in mind. I have a feeling he is going to want to trade for services. We will see. Joe
Do you still have the JCB 3C111? I know a guy here in Mt looking for a parts tractor. Let me know. Thanks
I do still have it. Waiting for somebody to make me an offer. The other guy turns out was not interested in buying it, just wanted to know what i was going to do with it and wanted to meet for coffee to discuss me doing some work for him. A lot of distance between Montana and Oregon. Lets talk. I just started working up north from my home so i am not around a computer during the week. I also might be working some weekends. So it may take me a while to get back to you. But i am interested in whatever you have in mind. Look forward to it. Joe
Do you happen to know both what the engine is and a source for parts. Mine is tired to the point where I'm looking at having to rebuild it. Thanks Rick