Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB 3CIII engine ID

oldtanker ยท 2012-05-03 16:53

I've been told that JCB used more than one engine in my TLB. What engines did they use and how do I ID which engine it is? Thanks Rick

Replies12
  1. #1JCBiron2012-05-03 22:27

    There should be a data tag on the unit somewhere. It may have, at least, a machine serial number, which you should be able to derive the engine type from that. If there is no tag, check for a stamping in the frame around the right front wheel/frame rail. I'm not 100% sure on the older 3C models, but on certain machines they did stamp the machine serial number in the frame. I do know that VERY early backhoes used Leyland engines, but most are Perkins. It's just finding out what series from there. Good luck.

  2. #2Dirtmaster2012-05-06 01:34

    I have a 3D111, also known as a 3DMK3 with a Leyland engine from about 1979. Engine is in really good shape. Bearings and rings are within factory specs. Dirtmaster

  3. #3ijoker2012-05-07 13:32

    I have a 3CIII. My service manual shows that there are 2 engines for this machine. One is a 4/98, which is what i have in mine, the other is a 38TD. These are both Leyland engines. Like JCBiron said, you should be able to tell from the serial number.

  4. #4oldtanker2012-05-07 15:05

    Dirtmaster, I don't think I need a complete engine, right now just the water pump. But depending on the price if it's right it wouldn't hurt for me to have a spare. ijoker, can you tell if they use the same water pump. Rick

  5. #5ijoker2012-05-08 13:24

    Nope. Can't say for sure. There are a lot of similarities in the 2 engines. It looks like they might take the same water pump.:beatsme If you need a new one you will find out when you tell your parts dealer what size engine you have.

  6. #6stock2012-05-08 14:59

    I'm nearly sure that those water pups are rebuildable..................

  7. #7stock2012-05-08 15:26

    http://compare.ebay.com/like/230696631678?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar Here a little light reading for you............................. http://vieux.tracteurs.free.fr/pdf/Manuel_moteur_LEYLAND_38TD_498NT.pdf

  8. #8oldtanker2012-09-06 14:09

    Stock thanks Rick

  9. #9stock2012-09-06 17:57

    You are welcome..............been away??

  10. #10oldtanker2012-09-06 18:32

    No just been very busy. Father in law passed in early Jul and with farm stuff I got behind and am now just getting caught up. My TLB is setting at his place as I did some work for him about 2 weeks before he passed. That's when the water pump went. Now when cold it has a knock and the oil pressure isn't good. I'm going to need it this winter as it's my backup for snow and feeding. Rick

  11. #11stock2012-09-07 02:46

    Sorry for your loss, well were here if we can help.................

  12. #12oldtanker2012-09-07 08:24

    If I have to rebuild the engine the manual you linked me to will be of great help. Rick