Hi everyone.i own and operate a 2005 JCB 3CX and i am having trouble with the seat suspension.I am 130 kilograms [about 285 lbs ] and my seat weight adjuster is wound right up to 130 kgs ,but i still need something stronger as the seat bottoms out all the time,and its jarring my back badly.I have spoken to JCB and the seat manufacturer ,and they both say there is nothing stronger i can get, i'm pretty sure there would be heavier backhoe operators than me in the world ,so i'm asking for suggestions. I found a new JCB air ride seat tonight on the internet , the JCB service bloke failed to mention these thankfully as im sure i would be paying three times as much as the place i found it wants, but i am wondering where the seat gets the air from to pump it up ,please give any advice regarding mechanical or air ride seat,much appreciated Joe.
Hi Joe: I have a 2004 Case 580 with an air ride seat and it has funtioned flawlessly, it likes an occasional shot of graphite grease and a cleaning once a year to keep the grease from building up to much. Your climate may not have the same effect on grease as I live where it can get -30 C for weeks so I usually let the cab warm up before I use it. The compressor for the Case is under the seat and other than the seat dropping after the machine has not been used for a couple of days has no issues. It has a switch on the right side of the seat to raise and lower it, and all the other adjustments you would expect. I weigh in at less than you(220) but the seat seems very strong and I have no doubt it would support more weight. Hope this helps and goodluck finding a replacement that works for you. BobG
I had a quick look on ebay, Australia and there are a few air ride seats listed
some have their own built in compressor , i think one i had in a machine once was good to 175 kg
Hi Joe, dont know if this will help, you could remove the damper strut from the seat & check it is working properly, we have had to , change some of these over the years due to the seat becoming too bouncy. We have had air seats on our last 3 JCB without problems,although I don't think the air seat is any better than a mechanical seat other than the it is easier to adjust the height setting. The air compressor is mounted under the seat base, which would need a 12 volt supply. We have a CAT 434E with air seat which I prefer to the JCB one because it has better damping. Good luck. Ex tractor fan
Hey mate Can't speak from operator experience We fitted up 3 new backhoes last year, all had spring style seats and we converted them to air ride seats. They're fairly dear from memory Do you have a stick machine or Precision Control? If you send me your serial number I could have a look on the wiring diagram and see if it's there. The compressors and controls are all integral to the seat. Not sure on your model but there is a strong chance you may already have the 12V plug in your machine. The ones we did all had the plugs cable tied up under the hole in the floor. Jock
Thanks for that info Jock,i have purchased 1,and yes i have precision controls. I gave the bloke on the phone my serial number and he said it would suit my machine, i have a mechanic coming on the weekend and will pass that info on to him and hopefully it all plugs in.By the way, i needed a new right hand precision control ,and JCB in Melbourne quoted me $ 1450 plus GST [which is 10 percent here] just for the control. I found a place in Sydney ,and they charged me $1400 plus GST for the whole set up, air ride,heated,new precision controls the works,all genuine ,so im'e rapt about that,hope fully all goes smooth putting it in,cheers and thanks again Joe.
Scored yourself a bargain there mate I would hate to know the normal price of a genuine seat Tell him to look for the Narva weatherproof plug, like this https://www.google.com.au/search?q=narva+style+plug&rlz=1C1ZMDB_enAU505AU505&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=eC02UYWNJK7BiQea3YFI&biw=1366&bih=667&sei=fy02Ualqq5qIB--hgbAH#um=1&hl=en&rlz=1C1ZMDB_enAU505AU505&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=narva+weatherproof+plug&oq=narva+weatherproof+plug&gs_l=img.3...5644.9442.0.10717.17.17.0.0.0.0.236.2738.5j1j11.17.0...0.0...1c.1.5.img.Oscpplqt5JI&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43148975,d.aGc&fp=bbe93c751769f0d7&biw=1366&bih=667&imgrc=XA4LSjbAJwRHgM%3A%3BqDYvf3T5TG2-3M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.smartmarine.co.nz%252Fimages%252Fproducts%252Fxlarge%252F8021391_narva_waterproof_connector_wire_2_pin_in_line_3.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.smartmarine.co.nz%252Fproducts%252Felectrical%252Fcable-wiring-accessories%252F60977%252Fwaterproof-connector-wire-2-pin-in-line%252Fdetails%252F%3B600%3B600 Should have constant ignition feed