Hello. First post here. I just bought my first piece of equipment, a 710B. As the title says, I have no experience, and no manuals (except for an online version for a 710D). I have no parking brake function. Mine is the old school-bus style lever type. When pulled up, it does nothing. It will actually pull up past the locking teeth. I can post a picture if I need to. What I need to know is how to adjust it so I have a functioning parking brake. Lowering the outriggers and pulling the back wheels off the ground is a pain every time I need to get out and check my work. Can anyone give me a hand? I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks.
Look under the machine behind the transmission and the brake should be on bolted on there. If it is a disk brake, there should be a single bolt running through it. Loosen the jam nuts and tighten it until it touches the disk and then back it off until it has a tiny bit of air gap. Just make sure before you do that there is material on the pads because inevitably someone has used the parking brake to stop. the machine. If the machine has drum brakes it is basically the same principle to adjust, just back off the shoes until they aren't touching the drum.
Thanks, Doc. It has a disk. I'm gonna go find something to lay on to keep me dry (lots of rain here lately), and give it a try.
Is this the nut you are talking about tightening? (I hope the pic works). [img=http://s11.postimage.org/rwvh6mk7j/20130227_143745a.jpg]
Yea that's the one. I would check and see if there is any brake pad left. In the picture it looks like the disk is right against the steel on the pad. Those pads are normally not very thick so if someone was stopping the machine with it the pad could be gone. Those pads are normally not expensive to buy and they are normally easy to replace.