The British Ministery of Defence sold their JCB 410's over the last few years to the civilian market. They are in great condition for the age, very low hours and obviously well looked after. I was looking at one recently but it is set up to be used only with forks. Conversion to use with a bucket is fairly common and that is what I want it for. The question I have relates to a restriction on the crowd/dump hydraulic cyclinders. The one I looked at had something on it to restrict the forward tip of the forks so the forks could not be tilted much past horizontal. They could pull back all the way. The crowd/dump cyclinders appear normal length. There is a valve on these cyclinders the function of which I do not understand. It connects to the pipework to both sides of the cyclinder and I suspect it limits forward tip as a supposed safety feature. Either that or there is something in the cyclinder to mechanically restrict its movement. Anyone have any experience of this and what is the solution?
hi ive not had much experience with the jcb 410 but i suggest contacting your local jcb dealer they should tell you but make sure you give them the serial number of the machine if they wont help get me the serial no and i will have a word with a couple of the lads i know who can probabley help
Sometimes spacers are used inside a cylinder to limit stroke. Any external travel limiter would be just as it appears. In forklifts, velocity valves, I believe they are called, prevent sudden dropping of the forks(load) should a hose rupture, and are a safety device. Might be a counterbalance valve too, to help prevent creep, not sure. Phil
360Joe there appears to be quite a number of those forklifts on the market a present,the lift and tilt cylinders/rams are plugged to prevent the forks from being over tilted and to be of any use with a bucket the rams have to be disassembled to extract the plugs. The loader arms are also shorter so these have to be extended.The engine is a Perkins 248 turbo and were prone to cracking the heads if they got very hot,not a bad engine if treated with a bit of TLC.The rims are for industrial tyres only and won't take an agricultural tyre,the ratios are higher on the transmission resulting in very limited use for ensiling grass,(farm master loaders were lowered geared).There was one ready to work in Limerick ie with all the afore mentioned loader mods done ,it was either at place in Ballingarry or outside Adare, remember passing it once when I went astray...given time and I will think where... I know I was going to Kerry at the time and took a detour.. PM me if I can be of any further help.
Hmmm, from the outside looking in, it would seem the Ministry of Defense went through quite an ordeal to spec a TLB type machine to be used with forks, given what it takes to restore the beast to it's orginal intent. Which begs the question; why the heck didn't they just use a forklift???
if one can see the red marks in the pictures it should be apparent where the booms have to be lengthend. The vehicle specs, JCB 410 M 4 x 4 Forklift. Ex Goverment Reserve. Perkins 4.248 Turbo Diesel Engine 102hp 3 speed Powershift transmission Selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive. 35 kph travel speed 4.43m Reach with inner mast and sideshift for accurate loading. Rear towing eye and full road and work lights. All are on excellent 395/85 x 20 tyres Manufacturer: JCB Model: 410M - 1C
I see an ad in autotrader lately saying that they modifiy the ex mod JCBs Not sure were they are, but they are in the south some were!
Thank for the responses. Turns out the restriction on tip is due to sleeves inside the cyclinders. I am told they are not difficult to remove. Don't see why the MOD saw the need to have this modification. I assume its supposed to be a safety feature. I know if I was a military commander I would want all my machinery to be as versatile as possible. That would mean a quick hitch and the ability to wear a bucket if required. Anyway, I have seen a few of these machines around with work done to fit buckets. As Stock said, they all seems to have the arms and links lengthened. Did not know the gearbox ratios are higher.
Hi Joe, Dont know if you seen it in the Autotrader, but that company i was talking about is in there this week! They are called Rohan Engineering, Based in Adare Co Limerick. They can extend the arms and fit a Euro Q Hitch Cps
Yer a Great lad cps.
Bought the discussed 410 anyway. Or to be more precise, agreed to buy it for someone else using their money. It came with the cyclinder sleeves removed. I am extending the loader arms and linkages myself. Nearly finished. Not a easy job with only basic equipment, ie a stick welder, cutting torch, and scrap 30mm plate.
Resourceful gentleman.We will of course require pictures.
The pics show the loader and link arm extensions. I did not want to add much reach, just enough to get the loader arm bushs close enough to the ground. Before the modifications, the loader arm bushs were 13 inchs off the ground at minimum height. That fine when using pallet forks but too high for a bucket. Some of the work may look a bit rough but the end result is solid and I am only an amateur welder doing this in my spare time. The steel is all from scrap 30mm plate cut with a gas torch. Just about finished making up a quick hitch too to fit this loader. In all of this work distortion from weld heat is a major consideration. With tight fitting pins it takes very little movement to get those pins seized up.
That should work the finest,what rods did you use? low hydrogen 7018's?
Selectarc 6013 in 3.2mm.
Just watch out for cracking 7018 would have been more appropriate for this type of work,What size welding plant do you have?
Big and basic. A 300 amp AC stick welder. Anyone have an opinion on the best place to get a manual for this machine?