Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb 506-36 steering problems

BobH52 ยท 2022-07-26 11:15

We have an older 506-36 machine that has steering problems. It was fine untill it blew a hydraulic line at the right outrigger and lost all fluid. When we added fluid it went into crab steer but will only turn left it will not turn right and the wheel is hard to turn to the right but easy to the left. It had the older two part fan and steering pump and my fan isn't running either unless there may be a temperature sensor in the system that runs the fan. Any help is appreciated.

Replies15
  1. #1Txhayseed2022-07-26 22:20

    How old is old ? You lost how much fluid ?? Outriggers and steering are not connected as far as manifold functions go. Have you tried bleeding the steering system ? Does your machine have the steering sync valve ? Depending on age and model some did some didn't. I would slighty crack the line at the steer cylinders since its probably the most convenient place and turn the wheel. See if it gets easier to turn after a few cycles. In theory the air should work its way out but sometimes you have to give it a helping hand. You have no other steering but crab ?

  2. #2BobH522022-07-27 06:53
  3. #3BobH522022-07-27 07:01

    It lost all fluid. I it is manually in four wheel steer but after refilling fluid and starting the machine, all wheels are crabbed left and won't turn right. What is the steering sync valve and location? It does have the IP7 system. I have cracked all lines at the steering cylinders and even manually moved the rear wheels to the opposite direction (4 wheel left turn) it goes right back to crab left..

  4. #4Txhayseed2022-07-27 22:48

    Odd you lost all fluid from a blown hose. The outriggers get flow from function manifold via the soleniods same for steering. Flow should have slowly stopped with out an active circuit. I would try unplugging the steering select coils. Front steer should be default with out a coil activated via the steer selector switch. Its possibly that loosing fluid and refilling the tank washed loose some debris that might have settled in tank or been introduced during filling ect over the years. It could be possible it just happened to get stuck in the steering circut on its way. Its a slim chance but can does happen. If your going one direction you definitely have hydraulic flow direct. Try unplugging the coils and see if that changes things. If not i would pull the stem valves out and check for anything stuck in them. Make sure they shuttle when coil is on.

  5. #5BobH522022-07-28 08:27

    It was low on fluid when the hose blew, it has two bad cylinders on the lift system and a bad outrigger cylinder. It has no steering select coils but I did remove the valves and check for debris. All was fine until it blew the hose and lost the fluid

  6. #6Txhayseed2022-07-28 22:38

    Do you have the dial style steer selector or the lever ?

  7. #7BobH522022-07-29 08:55

    It is dial switch...IP7 but there are no solenoids on the block. It is manually set in 4 wheel steer.

  8. #8skata2022-07-30 13:51

    It can't be both?? Is the selector in the wrong position. If you're in crab, and turned all the way to the left, then switch to 4 wheel steer, it won't turn right, because it's hitting the stop.

  9. #9LN Pipeline2022-07-30 18:58

    When I had the same problem, I took the sensing plate off under the rear proximity switch. This allows you to change the steering switch without having the rear wheels lined up. Put the switch in 2 Wheel Steer and bleed the front. After the air is bled out of the front, line up the front with the back and change to either 4 Wheel Steer or Crab and bleed the back. You might have to switch back to 2 Wheel Steer a few times to realign the wheels as you bleed the air. I also tried cracking hoses to bleed the air and never got anywhere.

  10. #10skata2022-07-30 20:09

    You don't even need to remove the plate. Just put anything steel in front of the sensor to trigger it.

  11. #11BobH522022-07-31 10:27

    I understand the IP7 system and how it works. my problem is... one of the solenoids was missing when we bought this machine and the other three were burned out plus the front proximity switch is missing. I manually put it in four wheel steer and it has been fine for over a year until it lost the fluid now it is locked full left in crab and the wheel won't turn to the right. The only thing I don't know about the operation of the system is which valves go in which position. the two valves are different and although I put them back in the same position as I found them, I'm not the first person who had the block apart. I tried to find a picture of the valves but to no avail.

  12. #12skata2022-07-31 11:10

    You manually put it in four wheel steer, but now you're in crab steer??

  13. #13BobH522022-07-31 11:17

    Yes, it is blocked in 4 position.

  14. #14skata2022-07-31 20:01

    I have no idea what that means.

  15. #15BobH522022-08-01 08:36

    I'm sorry, I mean it is manually blocked in four wheel steer.