Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb brake chatter?

skata ยท 2022-07-30 13:54

I have a late model 509-42 and am on a job with some hills. And the weather is warm, and thus the brakes are chattering a little. I had changed the axle oils last year with jcb brand oil. Is there an additive I can add to stop the chatter?

Replies11
  1. #1Txhayseed2022-08-01 22:33

    We use ford friction modifier in most of our axles. It helps keep brake chatter down a lot especially in the old skytraks. I would thing one brand is good as the next.. We just use the motorcraft due to the fact everyone carries it.

  2. #2skata2022-08-01 23:13

    I see it comes in 4oz bottles. How much would you add to each axle?

  3. #3skata2022-08-02 00:50

    How about this cat axle oil additive? Says it is specifically for brake chatter on backhoes. https://parts.cat.com/en/altorferindustries/197-0017

  4. #4Nige2022-08-02 08:29

    The Cat addiitve might work depending on what oil the axle has in it now.

  5. #5skata2022-08-02 10:09

    Jcb gear oil plus - high performance

  6. #6Nige2022-08-02 10:24

    That's a GL-4 Gear oil. I know the Cat additive will work with TO-4 but I have no idea if it is compatible with gear oils. Maybe someone else might know.

  7. #7skata2022-08-02 12:48

    Called Local cat dealer and he says he can't get the additive for at least a month. I guess there's a shortage. I'll have to search wear else I can find.

  8. #8Txhayseed2022-08-02 23:18

    You can get the cat stuff from jlg/genie/skytrac/amazon/ xyz. If you pull up the msds aside from the cat bottle its the same as almost all limited slip addatives in its product range.

  9. #9skata2022-08-02 23:57

    I swung by O'Reilly tonight. Bought 8 bottles of the Ford friction modifier. $5 bottle. I figure I'll put 4 bottles in each axle. I think the axle takes almost 4 gallons of gear oil.

  10. #10Mike-G2023-07-05 20:53

    Did that work?

  11. #11skata2023-07-05 22:21

    It did!