This tele-handler sat all winter and surprisingly wouldn't start last week. The owner asked me if i would take a look at it. So Saturday the missus and I loaded up and went to see what we could find. After recharging the fuel filters and bleeding the fuel system It started and ran great. As we were cycling it through all the functions we noticed the machine tilt didn't work. The linkage for it was corroded & jammed up. A healthy dose of penetrating oil and some hammer work later we had it tilting again. As the wife ran the tilt all the way right I noticed a bunch of fluid spill out of the draft tube. I checked and sure enough it was slightly oilly diesel. Pulled the dipstick & same thing :Banghead. So my questions are this...other than the injection pump front seal or diaphragm on the lift pump, what else might this guy be looking at? What should i do to start narrowing down the possible culprits before we get into some extensive exploratory surgery? Are some fuel passages in that cylinder head like on a common rail? maybe leaky o-rings? Does anyone have a service manual for this engine (1004-4?) Perkins engine data plate reads something like A850445, ser #U722239a , TPL # 1550220 Appreciate any help.
HI Pajibson, if this engine with common rail system it has drain piping from each nozzle in cylinder head.
I realized that after I posted the original message. I am still wondering what else I could be looking at besides the lift and injection pumps. Any ideas. Neither one is particular easy to get to in this application. the engine runs great so I wouldnt think it has an injector leaking all that fuel.
Look at the fuel return lines under the valve cover .The sealing washers could be leaking and engine will still run good .