I have JCB with a severe case of oil dilution, no power and a huge blue smoke issue. I have the Perkins manual for the engine in question and I have already replaced the fuel lift pump. So who can give me some guidance on removing this pump. The pump itself doesn't really seem to match either of the two Lucas pumps in the engine manual. So what is this and which procedure do I use? By the way for anyone thinking of buying one of these machines they are about the most mechanic unfriendly thing I've come across in a awhile. The only thing easy to get to is the air filter and the oil dipstick.
The pump is called a DPS pump.. The drive shaft is keyed but it would be best to time the engine before removing just to be on the safe side.. Its on a tapered shaft so a puller of some sort will be required to pop the dr. sh off the gear.. Some have an access plug infront of the pump and some have a water pump that has to be removed.. A pressure washer is your best friend at this point.. good luck
Thanks Pumpguy I was hoping you would chime in with your expertise. Yeah I told the owner to get it power washed before I come back to actually do anything. It does have an access cover for the gear on the front of the timing case under the water pump but you could barely see where from all the crud
have you checked the injectors? is the turbo spinning? and why are you randomly pulling pumps off that you dont know what they do? there are three pumps if i remember correctly. main hydrualic pump mounted on end of crankshaft, and two smaller pumps mounted on driver side of engine. one is for cooling fan and other for steering. also, you attach the engine cover to the boom and it raises the engine cover to allow full access to top of motor and trans. the bottom side is also completely open.
Turbo is spinning but only getting about 7psi. started pulling the injectors to get them tested but owner decided he isn't going to put a bunch of money into that old broke down machine. and who said anything about randomly pulling pumps? I actually just removed the engine cover altogether. works better than just raising it up with the boom.