Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jcb 8025 starter problem

2418 ยท 2013-12-07 04:26

I have a problem starting my jcb 8025, the battery lights etc are ok but when I turn the key I get a fast clicking sound, something like cogs slipping, from the rear of the vehicle.Could it be the starter motor ?

Replies9
  1. #1maddog2013-12-07 06:41

    I'd check with connections 1st and bad wires. How do you know the battery is good? I have had (quite a few) batteries that seemed good but because one cell was bad they didn't have enough power to crank. I have at least 3 right now that will read 12+volts but aren't worth a crap to start even a small engine. I have one that I'm using for my fuel pump, it'll run that, slow, and according to the volt meter seems fine but it has a bad cell.

  2. #224182013-12-07 07:40

    the battery is definateley turning something

  3. #3Delmer2013-12-07 09:10

    To me a clicking sound indicates relays or solenoids turning on and off rapidly. If the starter is turning slow enough that you hear a slow "ratcheting" or gears clashing from the starter turning, then the starter is not getting enough power, as maddog said from bad connections or battery. If it had enough power and the starter wasn't engaging properly it would be a screech or high pitched grinding noise. If you hear the turning for even a split second after the key is released then it has to be the starter, that's the only thing that spins. Not a fan spinning is it? Hooking a voltmeter to the battery to see the voltage while cranking should give you the answer, move the connections toward the starter if the battery is OK.

  4. #4jamiep2013-12-07 23:25

    i have had a few batterys drop a cell reciently, i remember i used to shake the baterys a few years ago and they would be lke a new one again, however the batterys now are rubbish, its prob the starter solinoid you can ear clicking, and you cant put jump leads on because you wont get the current through the bad battery, you'll be surprised how much you can solve with a new battery, goes for cars to!

  5. #5johnnyboy2013-12-08 08:50

    Load test your batts, voltage tells you very little. Delmer's suggestion is pretty much same test but will take 2 people.

  6. #6Delmer2013-12-08 09:46

    Or some long test leads.

  7. #724182013-12-08 09:48

    Thanks gents appreciate your input, I'll check the battery and connections as mentioned and let you know if I have any joy.

  8. #824182013-12-10 11:26

    I put the battery on charge and it started first time. Once again thanks for the support. Really appreciate the feedback which saved me time and effort chasing my tail. Happy Christmas !!

  9. #9maddog2013-12-11 08:00

    Thanks for the update, happy holidays to you