Just purchased this JCB backhoe. I've been trying to Google the identifying numbers on the plate and so far unable to find anything. Maybe someone is an JCB expert and can help me identify the markings. So far this is the only plate I have been able to find.
Look at an early 80's 1400B/1700B. It looks pretty similar. You can also call a JCB dealer and give them that upper left number and they can look it up.
This makes me wonder why so many threads asking the same question, what year is it? With all the numbers every manufacturer stamps everywhere why would it be so difficult to put the date on them? Joe H
I'd love to know why people are so fixated on knowing the year of a machine.? The first question asked at the dealer when you go searching for parts is "What's the Serial Number.?", not "What year is it.?"
It does look a lot like a 1700B, right down to the watery oil pouring off the boom.
Some OEM's like Komatsu for instance make it very difficult unless you work at a dealer. It's nice to know what year machines are, especially when buying or selling. Imagine some machines that were the same model for many years. A serial number alone wouldn't always mean much as far as determining the age but if you knew the year could possible help to better establish value. A 10 year old machine should be worth more than a 20 year old machine being comparable in condition. Not everyone can afford new.
the old JCB dealer here (Power Equipment) no longer represents JCB. I called them, they still had parts etc.... gave serial number. They not only knew the make/model and year, they ALSO knew who the original buyer was AND what was paid. Now, to be fair, it's possible the machine was originally bought FROM them, I don't know. TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) was the buyer but, my brother in law bought it in Crossville or Cookville, about 2 hours away so I was surprised that it came from TVA "locally". None the less... simple answer, as has been said, call dealer give them the info on your plaque and wait for answers. It looks identical to mine (1550-B) except mine isn't a site master, doesn't have the extend a hoe, doesn't have the clamshell bucket.... doesn't have 4wd.... but if you look past that, they're substantially similar and mine was around 1985-1987 when new (forget) but I'd feel that's a reasonable era for yours.