Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB Hydrolics wont work

DIG IT ยท 2011-04-22 19:04

We have a 2000 JCB 214e-3 loader backhoe. Last fall last job the hydrolics lost power, would lift some weight, not much, new pump and new filter and new oil, and hydrolics still acting up. we cleaned up old filter and put it back in and worked for 5 minutes and quit, so we put a new filter in and it ran for a few minutes and it quit again, so we are ordering another filter. We ran it with out the filter and it runs fine, but wont run with the filter for more than a few minutes. We do not want to run it with out a filter. The dealer told us that the filter had nothing to do with the hydrolics working and told us to replace a needle valve type hydrolic valve. That did nothing for us. I think it is the filter, what do you guys think?

Replies6
  1. #1willie592011-04-22 21:30

    What is your machine VIN number? Does it have gear pumps or variable pump? Standard control levers or pilot operated joystick levers? Which filter are you taking out, high pressure filter in pump output line or tank return filter?

  2. #2DIG IT2011-04-23 06:05

    We replaced the gear pump in the front of the motor. The filter I think is the return filter in the tank. The control is a joystick for loader and the hoe is JD style. I do not have our vin # handy. What and where is the high pressure filter in pump output line.

  3. #3willie592011-04-23 19:39

    Well DIG IT, I'm not sure what to tell you as you have a unique problem. If you remove the tank filter, and the unit operates fine continuously, I can't logically think of a reason why that's so. Most return line hydraulic filters, whether in tank or in line, are a bypass type unit. When the filter gets clogged, the filter housing bypass valve opens to allow oil to continue to flow, and I would doubt that your machine is any different. I suppose there is a possibility that the filter gets clogged quickly, maybe bypass doesn't open, or the unit doesn't have a bypass valve (which would be unusual), and the filter excessively restricts flow output from pump. But that pump is going to produce flow regardless, something has got to give, something is going to blow. And if this were the case, it wouldn't matter if the main relief valve were to pop open because that relief sends oil right through the (clogged) return filter. Something just isn't making logical sense with your problem. Some JCB loader/hoes use an inline strainer on the pump output line going to the main control valve. It's not really a filter, more a strainer to catch large debris before it enters the control valve. I don't know if your machine uses one or not. But even if it did, I still don't see how it would cause the problem you're having. I can't deny nor validate that removing the filter makes your machine work. I'm only saying I can't come up with a logical reason as to why that would be the case.

  4. #4DIG IT2011-04-23 20:01

    ATCOEQUIP. Well today we looked for the other screen filter that you mentioned and found it and it had pices of rubber on it, I did not see it so I don't know for sure what was on it. This morning we picked up the hoe( slow)as it was not working and droped it hard and it started to work. We hope this fixes our problems. Thank you

  5. #5willie592011-04-23 20:27

    Ah, that's interesting. All the more reason why I question whether or not your tank filter is the problem, just doesn't make sense. But dropping the hoe hard, did you make a sudden stop with it when dropping? If you did, that could be something was lodged in the main relief valve and that sudden stop popped the valve open and dislodged the object. Not saying that's what happened, just an example of something that would make logical sense. I hope you have some luck with it.

  6. #6DIG IT2011-05-01 08:13

    I am here to give you an update. The hydrolics worked great this last week, so we think we had a chip of steel in a valve, or crap in the filters. Thanks for your help.