Hello, I am having engine problems with my jcb JS130 Excavator and was wondering if anyone could help me find out what the problem is. when the engine is warm it looses power but is chucking out black smoke. if you leave it to cool down for 30 mins it will be ok for 15mins then it will start loosing power and smoking again. I have already tried changing the diesel filters, flush the tank out, and bleed the system out. any help will be great thanks steve
Sounds more like air than fuel. Filters, worn turbo, restrictions????
Or hydraulic drag? Or an injector leaking? I've never seen a bad injector do that, but maybe it could?
hi how do you check if the turbo is worn? also I have already replaced the air filters, and I don't think its the injector as I have checked this as well. also what is hydraulic drag? many thanks Steve
Just asking a few basic questions - when was the last time the engine oil & filter was changed, what grade of oil are you using, and what does the oil look like right now..? Regarding the turbo, if there is a rubber hose coming from the air filter to the turbo inlet remove it, grab hold of the guts of the turbo and see if a) they spin freely with no untoward noises and without rubbing on the turbo housing and b) see if you can detect any axial or radial movement of the wheel that would indicate turbo bearing wear.
Good day Mann I guess the engine is isuzu if so there is a engine manual advertised on Gumtree. Hope it helps Kind regards Uffex
Hi Mann As others have mentioned have you checked banjo bolt bottom of pump inlet for debris and like the others said turbo air filter .Do you need to bleed the fuel system to restart as this confirm fuel issue. Does you 130 seem as it is stalling and then when operating say boom up or dipper out does it try and stall out ? how many hours on the machine possible that the hyd pumps are worn as the regulator on the pumps keeps the swash angle /bearing track in the pump depending on the mode selected and wears to the same spot causing it to stick and not allowing pump to back off and then stalling or loading engine sometimes.
A quick test would be to try and run the machine without the tube connected to the turbo, this will show you if you have a air restriction. You also need a boost gauge to see if is turbo related. A small air leak into the fuel system will cause the inj timing to retard and power loss and smoke.
By "hydraulic drag", I meant something that was loading the pump even when the engine should be at idle. Like an internal leak or the pump control hanging up. I can't see how a turbo can work fine cool and go bad when the engine warms up. Oil pressure maybe?