Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

PC120-6 with fault code E02

MacMiller · 2015-05-29 23:59

I have a pc120-6 with the fault code E02. Looking some direction and/or a shop manual. Thanks, Mac

Replies25
  1. #1tool_king2015-05-31 17:42

    E02 is engine throttle control ,pump controller model code I don't have service manual .hopefully John C will chime in

  2. #2John C.2015-05-31 18:53

    The EO2 code just means there is something wrong. In this case it represents something wrong in the TVC control. TVC stands for torque variable control system. That code would indicate you might be having some loss of performance. To troubleshoot it further you have to put the system in fault code mode. To do that you push the button in the back of the monitor panel that you used for setting the time on the display and push the furtherest left hand travel speed button at the same time. It takes about three or four seconds and the display will change to show you any codes. It will only show one code at a time. To change to another code if there are more than one, hold the time button in the back and press the right side working mode switch. The display will show the next code if there are any. Keep doing this and write all the codes down. When you have them all written down, push the time button and hold it while turning off the ignition key. Count to ten slow and let go of the button. Count to ten again after everything shuts off. Push the button again and turn the key on. Keep holding the button to the count of ten again. Put the display back in the fault code mode and see which codes are still there. Let us know what you find and we can direct you further.

  3. #3tool_king2015-05-31 22:27

    John C is the expert on these komatsu machines.

  4. #4John C.2015-06-01 00:45

    Just had my nose rubbed in them for a long time. Thanks for the compliment.

  5. #5tool_king2015-06-01 08:22

    You very welcome John .You are great help here on the forum.

  6. #6MacMiller2015-06-01 15:15

    Thanks John C., I'm not near the machine at the moment but passed along your steps to someone who is. Will post when I hear back.

  7. #7MacMiller2015-06-02 14:44

    The only reading i can get are E:032 1:01 and 86 E2:33 and it does not clear Thanks

  8. #8John C.2015-06-02 19:55

    The 101 codes means there is or was low voltage in the system. Is the alternator working? Did you recently have to jump start the machine or change the batteries? The 233 code is a disconnection in the front pump TVC solenoid system. That usually indicates the wiring has a problem or the solenoid has burned out without being shorted. You can test the solenoid with an ohm meter. I usually find a similar solenoid on the machine that is working and test that against the reading you get on the problem unit. In this case check the rear solenoid against the front one. Send me a PM and I can send you some more information.

  9. #9Otis Driftwood2020-01-13 09:36

    John C. I am new to the forum as of today. Searching for information on error codes on a PC400LC-6 I found this thread. I have a power no crank issue. The unit is new to us, I had found immediately that the battery posts had shorted out on the hold down and melted out the corners of each battery on one side. I have replaced the Batteries however, I am sitting in the same situation. Power and no crank. I am getting Codes ( E02) as seen above ive done some searching thru the monitor to root out the underlying codes and have come up with the following. 101/102/e234/237/233 in that order Thank you in advance and happy to have found a knowledgeable group to come to for electrical issues ( my Bane) Otis

  10. #10John C.2020-01-13 10:49

    The EO2 is just a code to tell the operator something is wrong. Codes 101 and 102 happen whenever you disconnect the battery. I don't have a listing for the e234 code. Maybe someone here will have seen that before. the 237 and 233 show as disconnection in front and rear TVC solenoids. I haven't worked on a PC400LC-6 before but it sounds like the fuseable link has burned out. It is a wire usually in the battery compartment by the master disconnect switch. You should probably see a burned wire somewhere close the the disconnect switch.

  11. #11Otis Driftwood2020-01-13 13:26

    Thank You John, I do not have a crispy wire any where in the battery compartment. I did just change batteries so that should walk away the 237/233 codes. I am not reading a low voltage on the starter solenoid in front or rear. When tapped with a hammer while turning the key, she started right up. Shut down and I was not lucky enough to be able to duplicate this tap to- start situation. I pulled and bench tested the starter and both she and the solenoid are fine. Could it be low voltage coming from the key switch plug ......I am also wondering if this is not simply the hydraulic lock out control arm not making full contact.

  12. #12John C.2020-01-13 19:33

    How many wires are hooked to the alternator? Which engine do you have, original Komatsu S6D125 or clone Cummins M11? Again, I haven't worked on one of these so am not sure of the details with the electrical system. Older machines have a small wire on the alternator that connects to a starter safety relay. That wire is only supposed to have voltage on it when the engine is running. If you turn the key on and don't start the engine, there should be no voltage there. If there is, you can disconnect the wire and see if the engine starts. If it does, the alternator is your problem. On some of the Cummins powered machines there was a different systems that worked with a diode. I have seen that on the mini exes. I worked on a PC360 logger one time that had a double stack of diodes mounted behind the operator's seat under all that plastic. If you have that you can check all the wires with a ohm meter. I think I had a bad diode on that stack and had to replace the whole thing. The problem on that machine was that some longshoreman went to jump start it to get it on a barge. It was a similar type of short that apparently happened to your machine.

  13. #13carlos fadel2022-06-03 11:05

    Hi John C. Hope you can help with this situation, a friend of mine has a Komatsu PC120-6 and the main pump solenoid gets extremely hot after 1 hour working and loss the hydraulic power. We search for the error code using your steps info posted on May 31 2015 at first it is showed errors 101, 102, 316,232 after turning off and on with the ten second process all the codes were erase and nothing appear but after running the machine start to appear the error code 316. We really appreciate your help with this matter, thank you in advance

  14. #14John C.2022-06-03 18:14

    The 316 active code is for abnormality (step out) in governor motor system. That is for the engine throttle motor. The 232 is the one that is the likely problem. The is short circuit in front pump TVC solenoid system. I believe you can follow the wires going to the solenoid on the pump. It sounds like current is leaking off as the solenoid runs and it gets hot over time. At that point it sets the alarm code. Get a new solenoid and check the wiring to and from the associated harness to make sure there aren't any bare wires. With the age of you machine, the insulation will be breaking down now.

  15. #15carlos fadel2022-06-04 16:14

    Thank you John C. we really appreciate your help, we just order the solenoid and I will let you how it goes. have a great weekend!!

  16. #16DanteC-A12024-04-08 12:18

    Hey John C, I ran through the codes and reset the machine I got back to one code continuously popping up and the only code left is E233 on a Komatsu PC150-LC. Just wondering which steps I should take next. I saw you said to check the solonoids but I was just wondering which solonoids I should be checking? Thanks!

  17. #17John C.2024-04-08 12:41

    The code is for a problem on the front pump TVC solenoid. The solenoid is on the pump itself. The problem is almost alway a wire disconnected for some reason.

  18. #18DanteC-A12024-04-08 12:47

    Would this be considered the front pump TVC solenoid?

  19. #19John C.2024-04-08 12:58

    That is an after market connector. The TVC solenoid is the round cylinder above your hands.

  20. #20DanteC-A12024-04-08 13:04

    Thank you! Do you think I would be able to run the machine with this disconnected until my new TVC Solenoid comes in? The wires are definitely loose and wiggling on the back side of the solenoid

  21. #21John C.2024-04-08 13:11

    Did you test the solenoid before ordering a new one? You use an ohm meter and should see some resistance through the coil. You also need to check it for ground. It won't hurt to run the machine. The machine will just have either reduced performance or too much performance. If too much is will try to overload the engine all the time and you shouldn't run it in that case.

  22. #22DanteC-A12024-04-08 18:44

    We had power in the wiring and checked the ground and it seemed to be getting power and a good ground. I pulled it off and turn the key on and off and it was moving accordingly but maybe when it’s put back on it’s not able to do what it was doing while freed up. I think I should try getting a new one and see if it stays running. I noticed there was something wrong because it was starting right up running for a second then shutting right down.

  23. #23DanteC-A12024-04-10 13:38

    We have it unplugged. The machine still keeps dying out and it’s still throwing the E233 code. I wonder what else could be the issue.

  24. #24Norlac2024-04-10 14:07

    Hello I am new registered and don’t know how to ask questions for info about hold Cat 215 excavator can someone help me please

  25. #25DanteC-A12024-04-10 14:41

    Search cat 215 excavator in threads and look for an old thread