Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb jz70

cymro · 2010-02-21 11:52

Hi, i`m currently running sumitomo 6 ton excavator `94 model and am thinking of upgrading to a JZ70, so would like any comments or experiences about JZ (digging power, speed, stability etc) thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1robotplant2010-12-20 13:06

    Hi Cymro, Just joined and saw your old post when I was browsing. Did you get the JZ ? I did what you were proposing and bought a JZ70 after 10 years of faultless service on my Sumitomo sh 60 95 model. I have operated 360's from the smallest mini right up to a 75 tonne machine and I do not know of any machine with a stronger power to weight ratio than the old sumo. I have still kept the machine as a back up with 11,000 hrs on her and she still digs and sounds as good as when I bought her.They don't make them like they used to. The JZ I bought last year with 2400 hrs on has clocked up 2000 more hrs and is running fine has just burst the odd old pipe that's about it. The machine is quicker is alot more user friendlier has an extra 2ft of reach and a q/h which I wouldn't want to be with out. The JZ has an extra ton of metal on her, it's not as stable as the sumo and it's debatable as to whether there's more digging power there. If the JZ can clock the same amount of trouble free hrs as the sumo( only time will tell) I would pick the JZ. Hope this is of some help. Where about's in Wales are you. Cheers Robo

  2. #2cps2010-12-20 14:56

    Hi Robo, Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear the sumo treated you well, theres a few around here sh60s mostly, Worked on a few had trouble with some parts, you have any trouble with parts? What part of Wales you from, worked in south wales for about 3 years! Aiden

  3. #3robotplant2010-12-20 15:38

    Hi Aiden, The only parts I bought were exhaust ( I had a stainless one knocked up) Alternator I found a new pattern one for about £60. Rotary coupling seals same as jcb js 70. The odd hose , set of tracks and 5 rollers and some bushes for the bucket end. I am really struggling to remember any thing else I had to buy in over 10,000 hrs use. I did keep well on top of all the services all the filters were the same as the JCB js 70. The isuzu engine is superb low on fuel and very reliable. I did buy the newer version with the mitsubishi engine , not the same machine it didn't stay with me for long. I live South of Aberystwth.

  4. #4cymro2010-12-25 06:55

    Hi Robo, didnt go for the jz but bought a hitachi zx60 usb which seems to be a good machine and is about a foot narrower than the sumo, which was one reason for the purchase. Glad the jz is giving you good service. Live on the outskirts of Dolgellau.

  5. #5robotplant2010-12-26 09:03

    Hi Cymro, How does the Hitachi compare to the Sumo??, they are about the same weight. I'm surprised the ex60 is a foot narrower. Do you know anyone with a dipper for sale (1.74m) from a sh60 or js/jz70?

  6. #6cymro2011-01-09 16:49

    Hi again robo, the zx 60 measures just under 6`7" wide and has the boom mounted on the front like a mini digger and has 12" tailswing over tracks so quite a versitile machine. Its nicer to drive - a/c, good stereo, hyd hitch and effortless controls, but as far as digging a straightforward hole with 36" bucket - well the sumo would thrash it :cool2. Sorry cant help with dipper stick.

  7. #7WEN GAYO2019-04-17 00:59

    why the sound of the jcb jz70 engine seems to feel more burdened when operated and the sound of the pump is more audible than the other excavators of its class whether the pump is not good ... so the engine sounds like overload