I noticed the king pin is wore bad on the front steering on 2 wheel drive 89 1550b. There is about 1/4 in gap now. It quit taking grease awhile back. What's the best way to fix this? Can a build the pin up with weld? I can't tell if its a removable pin or a fixed post.
Most king pins have a flat or half moon slot in the pin about mid way. The axle may have a wedge bolt or set screw that has to come out to allow the pin to be driven/beat/pressed/heated/cut to remove. Some may just drop out, Ha! Ha! never know. Most order a kingpin kit, after the spindle has been removed and inspected. Sometimes the have to be built up or over bored with a custom made bushing. Some bushing have to be reamed/honed to fit the pin before install also. You have to get it apart and check the bore to see which way to go if the bushing bore is worn, The pin depending on cost may be cheaper to buy then to build up and turn down.
This picture might help you we used to have 7 of these in 2 wd and loading salt in winter we used to get the cotter pin out or drill it out warm up the axle the solid lump of steal we had a press we made but used to do it with a sledge and drift but support axle with somthing solid so the shock goes into the pin and then order a new king pin kit we used to build up the castings with weld and then put it on milling machine to take it back to size and then press the new bush back in sometimes we used to die grind out and reamer if it was only a little worn.
I see mine has the bolt that holds the king pin in, #14 on the drawing. I guess I better get some O2 for my torches because nothing comes out easy for me. #20 in the diagram looks like a bushing that I don't see in mine, I would say that is missing and #19. Thanks guys, now if I can find someone to hold the drift pin while I hit it with the sledge hammer .
OP, what's that white stuff in your pic?
We have about 5' of it here if you want some? I blame it on you guys on the west coast hoarding all the warm air, time to let some flow east!
I have rebuilt both of the king pins at different times on my 2wd jcb. The old pins were pretty stubborn about coming out. The first one I did I broke sludge hammers, drift punches, punches I made, and it was a huge headache. The second time around I got smart and welded up a small press to use with a bottle jack and pushed it out the top. Much easier that way.
I know my machine was used to load salt in the winter in the past so maybe I should just start out fabricating a press before I bend or burr the pin. I think I will now wait until warmer weather, things are easier when its warm out. TX
I did kingpins on a 1400B a few months ago, luckily the tapered lock pins came right out! I used a bottle jack and a slug of round bar from the bottom, put pressure on it then tapped the axle down with a sledge, they both came out with very little effort, hopefully yours will be the same! I bought the complete king pin kits through Wajax (JCB) and the bushings were finished to size, no reaming needed.
That's encouraging Greg, how much were the King pin kits from Wajax?
Not sure if the kits I used will fit your machine but they were JCB# 990/99600 and $227 CAD per kit, nice complete kits, new pins, bushings, seals, locks, thrusts, lots of shims and even new zerks :cool2
Thanks Greg, $550 for the 2 front pins then, not cheap. I see the 1400 and 1550 have the same service manual so they are probably close to being the same.