Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB Rack and Pinion Slew

AussieChris ยท 2017-06-20 00:59

I was wondering if one of our JCB experts could tell me if the JCB Rack and Pinion slew system has any adjustment for wear or backlash by shimming or otherwise. I have a late model 1CX (208S) but the slew system is similar to the earlier 3CX machines. I have the full workshop manual and owners manual but there is no description of this other than replacing the hydraulic seals on the pistons. This machine has just less than 1100 hours so is generally tight but there is a fair bit of play in the slew. Also, the bottom seal on the slew box is leaking ever so slightly so I wouldn't mind installing a new seal there. Unfortunately, I have no access to a parts manual and the dealer wants a fortune for one and won't guarantee it would be right for the machine anyway. Otherwise I am super happy with this versatile little digger. Chris.

Replies7
  1. #1jcb jeff2017-06-23 02:43

    backlash is often wear related but no way of shimming between rack and pinion. The leak will either be on the left or on the right slew pots there is a oring on the housing under the 4 bolts on each side,or where the boom base pivot is you will see a head of a bolt this will have a sealing washer as this goes into the rack to form a guide to keep the slew rack in the correct orientation.

  2. #2jcb jeff2017-06-23 02:48

    This might help

  3. #3AussieChris2017-06-23 05:40

    Thank you Jeff. I don't think I'll be paying for a new rack and pinion so I'll just have to put up with the play. The oil leak is coming from the bottom swivel/pivot point. Is part 19 listed as a seal? If so would you have the part number? Likewise with item 15 or 20 - it's not leaking there but I guess I'd need to replace a seal there too when I pull it apart. I'm also chasing part numbers for the seat armrests (series 2 with EasyControl) as they have cracked. I wish I could buy a parts book for this machine. Thanks again, your help is much appreciated. Chris. Serial # is JCB1CXWSC01743173

  4. #4jcb jeff2017-06-24 03:27

    Hi Chris From the serial number its a bit different i think.

  5. #5jcb jeff2017-06-24 03:28

    Other pages

  6. #6jcb jeff2017-06-24 03:48

    Chris Lots of different seat configs can you send a picture.

  7. #7AussieChris2017-06-25 23:33

    That's awesome, thank you Jeff. I can't really tell externally but I'm pretty sure you're right with the 2nd exploded view of the kingpost. The casting/part number on the cylinders (item 8) certainly matches as 332/R5971. Not sure if that's changed from the early models. So I'm thinking I will need the seals 17, 19 and 20. With regards to the arm rests, I have attached a couple of images (should have cleaned the machine first). They are little stubby ones but are the same as those shown in the brochure for machines fitted with EasyControl. Thanks again for your efforts providing those parts lists. Chris.