Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JCB Robot 185 Joy Stick Control Handle

kshansen · 2013-06-06 12:53

We have a JCB 185 Robot S/N 746899. Operator hit a seam in quarry floor while doing clean up work. This stopped machine fast and he broke off the threaded stud on the bottom of the right control handle. No proble I thought until I contacted the local dealer. Now instead of a $5.00 stud they are telling me I need to relace the Joystick and the parts book show it a s something like $800.00 I could see having to replace the plastic handle with the stud in it but it sounds like they are trying to replace handle and the valve as an assembly. Dealer is going to contact JCB for more info but I thought I;d check here to see if anyone has run into this problem and found a solution. My parts book does not list a number for the handle just says "See Remark" I have no idea where that would be, no foot notes on the page.

Replies7
  1. #1d4c24a2013-06-06 15:25

    can,t you just buy a $5 stud yourself then

  2. #2kshansen2013-06-06 19:02

    Would that it was that easy but the stud is like a hex head bolt that in pushed into the bottom of the handle then appears to be retained with a roll pin put in on an angle. An yes I did try to drive the roll pin out but it appears to be inserted in to a blind hole and is below the surface of the plastic handle so you can't grab it to remove. If I have no luck buying the handle alone for a reasonable cost (not something that goes with JCB parts from my experience) I may try to surgically remove it by some means and see if I can fashion a new stud in some way.

  3. #3bill onthehill2013-06-06 19:58

    Left hand drill bit should get that pin out.

  4. #4JCBiron2013-06-07 09:53

    PM me a pic of your handle.....i may have something laying around that I could get you for much, much less. That is, if you can't drill it out and replace the stud.

  5. #5kshansen2013-06-08 08:58

    I'll try to get some nice pictures Monday AM and send them to you. Have my doubts about getting that small roll pin out without doing major damage to the good part of the handle.

  6. #6kshansen2013-06-17 09:33

    Warning this is a little long! Well it looks like this one is fixed. Finally got caught up on more important jobs and decided to see what could be done with this one. Dealer and JCB agreed to drop the price of the control lever $130.00 to $675.00 well for that new lower price I figured I could spend a day or two working on it and if in the end it was fixed I'd be money ahead. As I belive I mentioned above the stud was part of a larger piece of steel that was retained in the plastic handle with a 1/8 roll pin in a blind hole with no way to grip it to remove. What I did do was to take a Dremel tool with a small bit and cut a groove for the roll pin. This allowed me to extract the slug of steel that turned out to be a 3/4 inch hex turned down on the top to 3/4 round and the bottom end to a 10mmX1.50 thread. I then chucked this part in the lathe and faced off the end with the broken 10mm thread. Then drilled and taped it for the 10mmX1.50 thread. Next as I did not have any 10mm studs I took a 3/8 bolt and cut off the tread and rasn a die over it for the 10mmX1.50 threads. Cut off the new threads and with some Loc-Tite screwed in into the original part. Slipped this assembly inot the plastic handle and drilled a hole for new roll pin 180º from the old one. Total labor time was a little high at 2 1/2 hours but still better than the $675.00 for the new part. Also I did not have to remove as much to repair this as I would had had to take off to replce with the new part!

  7. #7JCBiron2013-06-19 23:17

    Glad to hear you found a work around.