Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jcb skid steer 165 oil change

blrott ยท 2013-08-09 11:32

just bought a used jcb 165 skid steer. first time jcb owner. just wondering how I go about changing the oil. looking for some type of acces panel to get at engine. do I need to buy jcb filters or will American filters cross over. any help would be great. thanks. bruce.

Replies7
  1. #1kshansen2013-08-09 15:41

    First off you have my sympathy. We have had a 185 since 2002. If the 165 was designed by the same team as the 185 there is no easy access to the engine. Most of your JCB numbers should cross to Donaldson, Wix/NAPA or other US brands. If you have the filter list I could help with that. We use mostly Donaldson at work in the quarry. Our 185 says JCB on the valve cover but it is really just a Perkins engine. To drain the engine oil on the 185 there is a hose that clips to the forward side of the rear motor mount on the right side. If you didn't know it was there you'd miss it easy. Open the rear door where you can see the radiator and look in at the oil pan of engine and see if there is a hose about the size of a 5/8 heater hose connected to the bottom of the pan. Follow it and if like the 185 there should be a clip mounted to the motor mount that you just pull it away from. Drop it down and take off the cap and oil runs out. Oil filter on ours is on the right side of engine looking from the rear of machine, not easy to get at either. You have to work more or less blind. I'm home right now so I'm drawing a blank on one of the fuel filters. One is right out in the open to the left of the radiator. The other I forget right now. I would strongly suggest finding a dealer and at least buy the maintenance manual. I know on our the recommended oil in the hydraulics is 15W-40 motor oil. It has never done any good to tell our people but for your own bank account grease the bucket linkage after ever use. You do not want to know how much a few pins and bushing up there will cost you if you don't!

  2. #2blrott2013-08-10 15:54

    hey thanks for the help. found access panel and drain hose. should make life a lot easier. found perkins sticker on engine. already greased everything I could find. do you any special 15/40 oil for the motor or hydraulics. book said jcb. no jcb oil around hear. strange that they use motor oil for the hydraulics.

  3. #3kshansen2013-08-10 17:28

    I would say any good brand of 15W-40 oil like Shell, Mobil(what our company uses these days) Chevron and so on would be fine. I'll never understand why every company thinks they have to tell you to use their oil or things will go very bad. Just tell me what the SAE standard is for the correct oil and if you want to sell it for the convenience of their customers sell it at a competitive price not some crazy inflated price just because it has JCB or Cat logos on the bottle. The most important points to grease are those for the bucket linkage and where it connect to the boom. I try, with little success, to get people to grease AFTER each use. I feel that way the dirt and water that get in during use get flushed out and don't turn to concrete over night.

  4. #4blrott2013-08-11 13:03

    the book tells me to use the same oil in the hydraulics as the motor. never heard of that before. seems American made machines use regular hydraulic oil. should I use 15w/40 oil in the hydraulics.

  5. #5kshansen2013-08-11 17:39

    That's what we use in our 185 and have for many years so far that is one area we have NOT had a problem with as far a internal wear.

  6. #6JCBiron2013-08-20 17:46

    Just thought I would chime in here and say that 10w30 is actually what is recommended in the hydraulic system. You can use 15w40, but it is recommended for top-offs only. As far as what "brand" of oil, I always tell people, make sure if you are in the construction/Ag industries and working these machines to their potential, make sure you are using a constant-duty oil. Shell Rotella is NOT a constant duty oil. OTR Trucks only use 80% of their power 20% of the time. Those numbers reverse in our line of work (in most instances....there are always exceptions). So what I'm saying is, if u can't find/don't want to buy JCB oil (or Cat, or Deere, etc.), just be sure to buy an oil designed for the use of the machine. Like someone said above, it needs to meet or exceed the specifications of the oil used by the OEM. If you are still having filter sourcing issues, shoot me over a s/n and I can at least get you all of the OEM part numbers that may help you to cross reference. Hope this helps.

  7. #7Lil' Puss2013-08-20 20:02

    That's interesting. I've never heard of a "constant duty" oil. Where did that term come from? On my day job I run a 12 mW diesel electric plant using four 4,000 HP EMD 710G diesels @ 900 r/m 24/7, and we just run regular Delo 20w/40LE in the engines and Delo 10w/30 Synthetic in the actuators. These engines are off the turbo clutch with 18 - 20 psig boost 85% of the time.