Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jcb skid steer

jbailey52 ยท 2012-12-04 20:30

Hey everyone... Im not a common poster on this side of the forum, but I think this thread is best posted here. Last December we purchased a new skid steer. For now I will leave out where, and what brand name, I really dont want to start the "Well thats what you get for buying that machine VS this machine. The problem is this, is has a little over 200 hrs on it. It has been back the the dealer (an hour and 15 mins away) about 7 times. It has blown various hydraulic lines on job sites, spewing 12 gallons of hydro fluid over customer yards and driveways about 4 times. Had to either sit and wait for the parts to be flown into the dealer and fixed on site, or had to be towed away. Last week it actually died in the middle of an innersection on a road, do to some electrical failure. The police actually had a backhow up the street and drugged it (is that a word?) to the side of the road. It was about 3 hours until the machine was picked up. So my question is where do I stand with this machine? If there was no problems, the dealer would never hear from me. I purchased this expensive, new piece of equipment so I would not have down time from breakdowns of a used machine. Yet I have had multiple with only 200 hours on the machine. The dealer told me the first couple times that with a new machine its "Common for the machine to work out its kinks from manufacturing" Well I think I should be well past that point. The dealer has accomodated me. They have given me a machine to use the last two times it has broken down, but I still feel something needs to be done with the machine. I guess what im asking from you guys, is your opinion or experiences with this. I hope I dont get to many "Man if that was my machine I would be in his office holding him up by the neck until I get a new machine". I would probably say that also if it was someone else's problem but its not practical/professional. I checked into lemon law in PA and it doesnt cover machinery, only automobiles. So far the sales man said he would talk to the manufacturer but I have heard anything yet. Thanks in advance for your help. Jeff

Replies2
  1. #1Hendrik2012-12-05 01:58

    Yeah drugged is a word but why the cops had to use drugs on it after it died has me puzzled Seriously though, you have to talk to the manufacturers, I am guessing JCB, to see what they are going to do about it. Not acceptable for an industrial machine to break down ~7 times in 200 hours. Yeah if you bought some Chinese thing you might expect that but JCB have been around hydraulics for a long time. Has the dealer checked the relief valve settings, although hoses are rated to way past what a a pump can put out. Which may indicate a batch of faulty hydraulic hoses, which is a big deal. Have you googled your machine and related machines from JCB? Have any of the replaced hoses blown again? Worst case scenario is legal action, which no one wants. I would make sure in writing that the machine will be warranted for future repairs. In other words the repairs should also carry a warranty.

  2. #2Sagebrush2015-03-07 03:30

    Hey Jeff Did they ever take care of that JCB for you? What are you using now if I can ask, we are in the market for a new skid.